Everything old is new again

Sydney Travel Blog

After a 9 hour flight, I land in Sydney on the most gorgeous Friday morning. Since its still Summer, I land on a really stinking hot day. Having spent the last month going through the coldest days I've ever experienced in my life, my body doesn't know how to react. Okay I knew before I touched down in Sydney that it would be hot. After all I've spent countless summers in Sydney for as long as I've known. But I forgot what it felt like to experience the humidity and heat of a 30 plus degrees Celsius day, after several years. It definitely wasn't like the mild summers I was used to in Europe. Plus I didn't have any shorts in my backpack. So I got off the plane with a t-shirt and jeans. It definitely was not jeans weather today. I begin to sweat as soon as I line up at customs.

The look of my parents face when they spotted me making my way through the crowd to greet them was priceless. They were literally beaming. It's hard to prepare yourself for meetings at the airport. You might think that your prepared to meet whoever you are meeting at the airport. But your not. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I surprised them at home like I originally planned. I might have needed to call paramedics to be put on standby. As soon as I put my backpack in the boot of the car, I fished through it to grab my thongs.

Being Summer and the sun shining bright in the sky. My parents decide that it would be a good idea to go to the Sydney Fish Markets and grab some seafood. As I was getting driven around through the city headed to the fish markets. I couldn't stop looking out the window and the streets of Sydney. Whilst everything looked familiar, it also looked very different. New buildings. New shops. New surroundings. It's amazing how much has changed in 2 years and how much things are the same as well.

As soon as I got home I chucked on a pair of shorts, and tried to make the best of the Australian summer and haven't looked back since. You'd be surprised how quickly you get back to a normal life once you get back home. Friends are still there and acting as goofy as ever. New relationships form. New opportunities develop. But essentially everything is as you left.

Whilst some days I do wonder how my friends are doing in London, and wish I could be back there with them. I also see what I have here, and how much love and memories I have here. Whether I ever depart Australia's shores permanently again, I do not know. Whether I regret not leaving 2-3 years ago. Definitely not.

dfoo says:
Sure. Mind you it won't be exact as its been a few years since I went on it.

Tour (Vodka Train) : GBP800
Money taken from ATMs : GBP400-600 (I think, maybe even less)

This trip took about a month, so about GBP350 per week. But the tour was the biggest expense. So once you pay for the tour its peanuts in spending money. Stuff is really cheap in Russia (except for Moscow), Mongolia and China.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2008
dfoo says:
Thanks Laura! If there was a soundtrack to my travels it would definitely have "I've had the time of my life" from Dirty Dancing in it.
Posted on: Dec 15, 2007
highlandmist says:
I loved this blog, right to the very ending when you're back in Sydney, and your parents joy in seeing you back home, I could almost feel it. Hope you will continue your writing. Ok I'll stop bugging you with my goofy comments now, at least until you post your next blog, haha ;)
Posted on: Dec 15, 2007