Take off

London Travel Blog

Firstly I'll give a brief intro to this journey. After spending just over 2 years working and living in London, not to mention the countless trips I've done around Europe it was time for me to head back home to Sydney, Australia. I was leaving with mixed emotions. On the one hand, I had formed strong connections and had the time of my life living in London and didn't really want the fun to end. On the the other hand, I hadn't been home and was curious what was going on with friends and family. It was also time to settle down and not drift through life heading in no particular direction. Which is funny because it was the exact reason I left Australia to go abroad. To find myself and find some sort of direction in life. Well I definitely found myself whilst I was away. Now it was time to find the missing bit. Nearly two years on, I'm still not sure if what I did was right. But life isn't easy.

Anyway I'm sidetracking. I've decided to go home. Back to Australia. The only home I've ever known. (Although I now consider London to be my second home). So I thought to myself why not go home in style. Forget the 24 hour flight needed to get to the other side of the world. I was never a huge fan of long flights. So I decided to do the Trans-Siberian and have one last epic journey on the road, or rails as the case may be. I first heard about the Trans-Siberian from a guy I lived with in London. He would go on about how he would love to do it and how it was a dream of his dad's to do it. I didn't think anything about it at the time.  But I guess it got buried deep in my subconscious.

So here I was about a year after my friend told me about it. All booked on a tour to depart on the 22nd of January 2006. Boxes of stuff sent back to Australia weeks before. Unemployed. Stepping back into the unknown. The story unfolds below:

I had an early start today with only a few hours sleep. This is the price you pay for organising a smaller farewell party/dinner the night before a flight. At least I had the huge farewell a few nights before to make sure I wasn't too smashed to sleep in. Although I doubt I would have got much sleep with such a huge trip in front of me. I'm still a little blaise about this trip. It still hasn't really sunk in that I possibly will never see/return to London. Maybe my attachment to London and Europe is not all that it seems. Or maybe deep down I know I will always come back.

As luck will have it, I again needed to run to the gates to board my flight. It wasn't due to the normal reasons of sleeping in or being stuck in the checkin line. It was because I lost track of time shopping. Shopping for a new digital camera, as the last one I had got drenched in water when I stacked in on the French Alps a few weeks before and somehow I couldn't find the right camera in London. I'm the biggest Japanese tourist ever, I take loads of photos. I take photos that look the same multiple times just because I was unhappy with something in the shot. So a camera was essential before I boarded that flight.
dfoo says:
I will always be a traveller. The lure of foreign lands is too great. Sometimes its hard to get away from work though. If only I was 23 again with the bank balance of a retiree.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008