Tioman Travel Blog

It was a long journey by land to get here for me, usually from Kuala Lumpur we can go direct to Mersing which is a 6-hours bus ride then 2-hours ferry to Tioman Island, but as since the schedule from KL was not good for me, I decided to meet my bf first in Johor Bahru then only travel to Mersing then to Tioman. I went back the same way. All and all, it took me 12 hours each way, but the it was worth the trip..

We didnt really plan the trip, and we made it there just in time, in a matter of mere minutes.. My bf made it just in time for the bus to Mersing and we made it just in time for the last ferry to Tioman that day.

Coming back, there was only an early morning ferry out available but we managed to change it to a later ferry at noon, then we missed the bus at Mersing to KL or JB and took a taxi to JB instead - the bus is only RM11.50 each but taxi was RM160! We paid for the time, as after I still need to take a 4.5 hour bus back to KL. As before, all and all, it was worth the trip..

Since it was Easter weekend, the hotels which looked good from internet pics at the popular beach, Salang was fully booked.

We stayed at Tekek instead. Tekek is the main village of Tioman and is the most developed area on the island, complete with an airport and duty-free shops.

We had a beach-front chalet at Coral Reef Holiday, it was really nice to wake-up to a beautiful view, relax by the beach on a hammock, being a total beach-bum.. Life is definately a beach.

. Breakfast is served at the hotel restaurant facing the beach or we can take breakfast at the beach as well..

There are corals close to the beach, and I had a great time snorkelling, even seen few species of colourful fishes other than parrot fish, a bright electric blue, green and purple ones too, even a sting-ray.. There are sea porcupines which looked a bit scary to me.. Didnt see nemo though..

There's also a marine park close by but I didnt get to go this time, will definately be coming here again..

The best part about the trip was the food, best tasting seafood I have ever had. The first night, we had dinner at Warung Syidah, we were attracted to the place by the pakcik (uncle) who had on a chef's hat, busy grilling away, I had the most amazing sambal sotong, squid cooked in hot sauce. On the second day, we had lunch at Babura Seafood Restaurant, by the beach, and the fish cooked in hot paste is simply delicious!

On the second and last night, we chilled out at Tioman Cabana, an open air pub and lounge, designed to Malay architecture of wood and even incorporating existing coconut trees in its structure.

Life is a beach..
Its really relaxing there, having snacks and drinks over blues and raggae music, a perfect place for nights on a beach holiday. It was raining heavily while we were there, but we enjoyed the the rain and the cool air that comes with it..

Time passes slowly for us there, even though it was a short trip, but it was really a pleasant one.

Seafood lunch
One of the beaches in Tioman
One of the beaches in Tioman
Tioman Hotels & Accommodations review
Coral Reef Holiday's
Coral Reef Holiday's Located in Kampung Tekek, Tioman Hotel offers accommodation for either sea view (comes with air-cond and hot shower, double /… read entire review
Tioman