Travel Day: San Marcos, Texas to Ciudad Valles, Mexico

San Marcos Travel Blog

joe
Background: This trip was first thought up many months ago in Argentina.  I met Lucy and Hannah in the back of a bus on our way from Iguazu Falls to Buenos Aires.  They explained they would be in Mexico sometime in October and were not sure how they were getting from there to Los Angeles, where their next flight departed from.  That is when i told them, "dont worry, i got you."  I am not sure if they believed me or not, but that is how the trip was born.

The Plan (Mexico Run): My roommate Joe is always up for an adventure.  So when i told him we needed to go to Mexico to pick up some Brits, he really didnt ask any questions.  Ciudad Valles is a 14 hour drive from our hometown of San Marcos.  Valles is a playground for people with an extreme sports habit.
chase
  So once several our friends found out we were headed to Valles on a Double Secret Mission, they wanted in.  I told the girls to get a bus from Mexico City to Valles, and i would do the rest.

The Usual Suspects:
Joe: recreation manager, employed by the government, master of details, equipment supplier, stunt coordinator.
Chase: jumps out of perfectly good airplanes, also employed by the government, adrenaline junkie, master of ropes, revolutionized canyoneering
Byron: entrepreneur, expert paddler, hopeless optimistic, has attention issues
Ben: olympic athlete, introvert
Me: novice paddler, novice repeller, expert drinker

We got a late start today, because Chase's flight from California was delayed for several hours.  Once we got the phone call he landed in San Antonio, we left from San Marcos and drove 14 hours straight until the next morning...and so the adventure begins.
byron