San Salvador Travel Blog

One of the worst way to wake up while travelling is probably for someone to gently shake you and say "Lover, I think I lost my Passport"......

That woke me quicker than a triple expresso.  We organised a total strip down of all bags and pockets and bins and beds all to no avail.  Arlene´s best guess was that  in the rush and confusion after crossing the border her passport fell out of her day pack.  We called the bus company in San Salvador, to no avail.

We were tossing up between heading to San Salvador to talk to the bus company in person or to declare it missing (which means waiting in San Salvador for a temporary passport, Flying to the closest embassy (Mexico City) and then waiting for a re-newal).

In a last ditch effort we went to the bus terminal.  Amazingly the only bus in the terminal was our bus.  It had not returned to Guatemala, had not been cleaned (not that amazing), and there wedged beside the seat was the Passport!!!

I virtually snogged the bus mechanic while sobbing Thankyous as he helped save us 2+ weeks and thousands of dollars.

cygnus16 says:
Pretty scary, being in a foreign country and having no way to prove that you are who you say you are. Happened to me in Thailand several years ago. Ever since I've carried, on my travels, photostatic copies of my passport. Cheers.
Posted on: Jan 11, 2007