0084 A different facet of American history (USA 049—new)

Emmitsburg Travel Blog

Emmitsburg isn’t a bold-type town on the map--  but a tall pillar with a golden statue on top catches my attention, so I decide to check it out.

I get off the highway and I see a sign that says “Elizabeth Seton Shrine”.  I figure it must lead to the pillar I saw… no it leads to a sort of museum and cathedral dedicated to Elizabeth Seton, a pioneer Catholic in this region.  I’m the only visitor, and the nuns seem particularly friendly, so I decided to explore it a bit.  Besides, it would be really nice to do something indoors for a bit so I can defrost!

So I sit in on a short documentary about the persecution of Catholics in colonial America.  It’s an interesting glimpse into a facet of American history I don’t know a whole lot about.  Then I wandered over to the Ann Seton house where she had founded a school for local children.  Another friendly nun gave me a personal tour of the simple but insightful building…

Finally I figured I should head out and brave the cold once again--  I still want to see that cool statue… So I continue on down the road for a bit.

I guess “The Grotto if Lourdes” is a pilgrimage spot for Catholics who believe there was an apparition at this place.  The towering statue and the candle lit cave is something I’m used to seeing more in Latin America--  it’s seems a little odd here in the USA.  Once again it’s an interesting little glimpse into this facet of American culture.

I head on down the hill to St Mary’s University, a small college overlooking the vast valley below.  I try to find a good spot to take a clip with the statue in the background, but am not very successful…

Finally I figure I should visit Emmitsburg itself before finishing my tour, so I head to the small village with only one street… it does have a cozy, old fashioned village feel to it, so I stroll up and down the street and stop at a fun little basement diner for a burger…

It’s been fun day—braving the cold, and discovering a site unlike anything I’ve seen here in the USA.

Emmitsburg