0073 Why McConnellsburg never grew (USA 040—revisit)

McConnellsburg Travel Blog

McConnellsburg, like Chambersburg across the mountain, was founded way back in colonial times.  But unlike Chambersburg, it never grew.  It’s always remained a little town, surrounded by forest.  Chambersburg is now a prosperous city surrounded by factories, warehouses and semi urban sprawl.

As I wander up and down McConnellsburg’s streets, I ponder on what caused the distinction.  Obviously McConnellsburg doesn’t have very much flat land around useful for farming, but I think there’s another reason as well: the railroad.   See a rail line was built through Chambersburg, connecting it to the rest of the world.  McConnellsburg remained unconnected, dooming it forever to being a small, quiet town.

But staying small has its advantages too… McConnellsburg’s Main Street is still the cheerful heart of the town, with little shops, eateries and well preserved architecture.  No ugly sprawl here--  the town ends and the forest begins…

I take my clip in front of yet another Highway 30 mural, and continue on my way…

photo by: nathanphil