0070 On down Highway 11 (USA 037—revisit)

Greencastle Travel Blog

In these episodes lately it seems I’m not doing a whole lot of discovering—mostly just reminiscing.  But that’s OK… this is helping me piece together various important experiences in my past to try to help my chart out my present.

Now I find myself in another town down historic Highway 11: Greencastle.  The last town in Pennsylvania heading south.

I only have a few fleeting memories of this place.  One is of coming here for a one day job at a lettuce packing plant.  Not exactly a job I’d want to have as a career, mainly because of the strong chemicals used in treating the lettuce—which makes me wonder about how dangerous these vegetables really are that we eat!

Memories like this make me really appreciate having a steady job.  Working temp one day jobs is not a fun way to make a living.

Not much of a Main Street here, almost all the businesses are on an ugly strip mall on the highway… But there is it humble little circle with a little Chinese restaurant.  Greencastle is an unassuming town, not really trying to compete for charm with its neighbors Hagerstown and Chambersburg.  But it does have a good balance of industry and residential, so I guess it’s probably not a bad place to live.

I hike on to the edge of town to a decaying hardware depot which looks like as good a place as any to take my clip.

Greencastle