0063 A trip down Memory Lane (USA 030—revisit)

Scotland Travel Blog

It seems like I’m back to just connecting to my dream for a couple of hours at a stretch.  A few days later I find myself in the Scotland, Pennsylvania, a small village next to Chambersburg whose only claim to fame is the Chambersburg Mall.  I guess the businesses in Chambersburg were afraid they’d lose customers to a new mall, so the didn’t allow the mall to be built in Chambersburg proper.

Here, memories come back of my first 18 months living in Chambersburg when I didn’t have a car and I’d occasionally bike the 7 miles to the mall to watch a movie.  As I walk through the village again I reminisce on those “hard times” when I was just getting started here in America and worked 16 a day trying to get on my feet financially.  It was a difficult time when I felt I had to prove to myself that I could make it all on my own.  And coming here to watch a movie at the mall in Scotland was one of the few comforts I could allow myself.

It was a pleasant ridng past apple orchards where migrant workers come and brave the freezing cold in the fall to pick apples… past a boarding school for troubled kids of military parents… up Scotland’s only street, past the tiny post office and the village’s 4 businesses…

Scotland does have a few intresting facts about it.  It was the inspiration for the movie:  “Scotland PA”, a modernized version of a Shakespeare play—I think the only thing that inspired it was the name, though.  And somewhere in Scotland there’s a guy who built an entire miniature town in his backyard—it’s supposed to be a mini-tourist attraction of sorts at Christmastime when he lights it all up…

Today, I’ll just take a stroll across the village… take a clip next to the stream and the duck pond and enjoy the colors of fall. The crisp autumn weather is invigorating as I try to relive those days gone by.

photo by: nathanphil