0024 The Soulless Suburbs of Baltimore (USA 024—new)

Arbutus Travel Blog

Day 011: 5 hours, 1.2 kms

A week slips past me without another reconnection to my Minstrel Life.  The one day I have to go pick some people up from the airport in Baltimore and I take my guitar and camera along just in case I might have a chance to slip into my Other Life.

There’s still more to discover in Baltimore, but I figure I should try to discover a new place, to make sure this day “counts” as an Adventure Day. So I look on my map for a sizeable suburb to explore.  But the supposedly bold type town I pull off on is nothing more than a couple of houses on the side of the road—clearly no character or personality… so I drive further up the road through a no man’s land of highway, vacant lots and random neighborhoods, stores and industrial sectors with no soul or identity.

Finally I settle on Arbutus… Whose “soul” consists of little more than a movie theatre and an ice cream parlour… I park my car walk a short ways past a school and back again, finding absolutely nothing that would serve as an interesting backdrop.

But I can’t stand to let this be a music-less trip… so I decide to parkbench Arbutus anyways.  I sit down in a narrow park in the middle of a divided street, and there I take my clip…

After a bit of debate, I decide that Arbutus should count.

photo by: nathanphil