0015 The Comeback Beach Town (USA 015—new)

Sea Isle City Travel Blog

Day 006: 10 hours, 4.0 kms

The next morning, I manage to sneak out again into my Adventure Life for just a couple of hours.  I’m with the family down at the beach in a little vacation home town called Sea Isle City—not much substance to the town, mainly because the place gets wiped out by hurricanes every couple of decades.  But people still keep coming back and rebuilding beach houses here.

My family opts to rest by the beach for a little bit, so I run back to my car and grab my guitar and camera, and head off down the boardwalk, hoping to connect with this place at another level.  It’s a bit confusing as I try to transition from family man to free wanderer and back in just a couple of hours, but I think I can pull it off.

I pull out my guitar a bit further down the coast and strum my five songs, trying to bond with this place. I take a swim in the ocean, and enjoy real beach sand for the first time on the Atlantic Coast—as most beaches here have just gritty industrial sand.  I pass a little open air church service going on right on the boardwalk.  It seems to be an attempt to remind beachgoers not to neglect their religious duties while on vacation!

Then I head inland and follow Main Street (which is really the only street) past beach houses on stilts back up to where I left my family off.

It’s felt kind of strange trying to go back and forth between Family Man and Wandering Minstrel in the same day… I think from now on it’ll be best if I keep these two lives separate from each other…

Sea Isle City