0007 An Anti-audience (USA 007—new)

Lewisberry Travel Blog

Day 003: 3 hours, 2.0 kms

The next day at work, I find myself chaffing at the bit, feeling the need to get out there and discover.  So right after work I drive off, heeding the call.  This time it’s south, determined to explore the first village that I come across.  Soon I find myself in the little villageof Lewisberry… So let’s see how it compares with Lewisburg and Lewistown.

Lewisberry is really, really tiny.  It’s got basically one street, and the main church is boarded up.  That’s something unusual in these parts--you don’t see a lot of unused churches around here.

I park my car next to a softball field where girls are playing with8 foothigh cornstalks in the background.  It’s a true all-American scene…but not worth embarrassing myself for a clip. I wander down the one street to a colourful old fashioned house that I use instead.  When I head up to a tiny little playground for my parkbench session.

A lady is there with her daughter.  But instead of coming to listen, they quickly leave.  I guess they’re a little paranoid about strangers in these parts… I’m a little annoyed at having an “anti-audience” for my music session—but I guess you can’t win them all.

So I leave Lewisberry with the question in my mind: why does this town feel so small and abandoned when it’s such easy commuting distance toHarrisburg?

A very different feel about this town than any of the others so far.

photo by: daveruz90