Day 9

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Day 9 – November 1, 2007

What better way to enjoy Thai food than to learn how to cook it?!  Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School was the first Thai cooking school in Chiang Mai and it is owned by the top television chef in all of Thailand.  When we arrived we were delighted to learn that our teacher for the first half of the day would be Sompon himself!  He started by giving us an overview of all the ingredients we would be using throughout the day and telling us where we could get them wherever we live.  Then he followed with giving us a demonstration of the next dish we would make.  After tasting his, we would disappointingly go to make our own somewhat less tasty version.  After eating it, we’d head back into the classroom to watch him make the next dish.

We made 6 dishes in all, starting with tom yum soup, followed by fish cakes, phad thai, green curry, larb salad and a dessert that I can not for the life of me remember the name of.  The dessert was quite interesting.  It was water chestnuts, covered with red food coloring (to make it prettier) then covered in a tapioca flour and dropped into boiling water long enough to make the tapioca stick to the water chestnuts.  After taking them out of the water we covered them in a sweet sauce and ice cubes.  It didn’t look like it would taste good to me, but I was pleasantly surprised!

As much as I hate to admit it, at the end of the day Jared’s dishes were definitely much closer to being true Thai food than any of my own.  Fortunately for me, he was willing to share!  It was a really fun way to spend a day and one of my favorites so far.

We finished the day off with a nice 2 hour oil massage, more yummy food and several hours worth of work.

Chiang Mai