Day 6

Nong Khai Travel Blog

Day 6 – October 29, 2007

One thing about working on the road is that sometimes you just have to suck it up and spend the majority of a day working.  Now that said, sitting in a restaurant with high speed wireless access, beautiful views of the Mekong River with Laos just beyond it and copious amounts of beer – isn’t exactly a rough day at the office.  Today was one of those days.  We worked for a good 6 or 7 hours this morning/afternoon at a place called Good Food.  There is definitely a reason for the name albeit a basic and fairly obvious one.  The food is good.  After dining on aforementioned good food, we headed over for an all new kind of massage – a foot massage.  It is hard to imagine the gloriousness that can come from having knuckles dug into your feet and menthol applied to any and all bruises, but I can assure you it is both amazingly relaxing and wholly rejuvenating.
The Market

We followed our foot massages with day number two of moped adventures.  It wasn’t quite as elaborate as yesterday, but slightly eventful all the same.  When we arrived to our mopeds today there was a new innertube for a tire sitting in the front basket of my bike.  I thought it was strange that someone had left it there, but thought nothing of it and tossed it to the side.  Quickly I realized that perhaps there had been a reason behind someone’s good Samaritan act and was wishing I had kept the tube.  Fortunately we found a tire shop quickly and although it cut into the moped adventure it didn’t entirely ruin it.

We found what we thought was a “little” market off to the side of the road and decided to stop.  It turned out to be immense!  We walked up and down looking at live eels, gigantic fish swimming in tubs and even watched one being rescued that had tried to jump to it’s death by jumping out of it’s tub.
A dog patiently waiting on a moped at the market
  Looking back, I’m not entirely sure it wasn’t entirely aware of what it was doing….  There were all kinds of vegetables and fruits I had never seen before and there was an entire housewares department with every imaginable kitchen utensil.  I was particularly impressed with one woman who had designed her own automatic fly remover for her fish by attaching two of the animal hair fans I described yesterday to some type of ceiling fan motor and allowed it to run over her fish – needless to say, I knew where I was going to be buying fish if it became necessary for survival!

A quick trip back to Nong Khai, dinner at Good Food and more work…so goes the life of a nerd without borders.

The Market
A dog patiently waiting on a moped…
A dog patiently waiting on a mope…
Jared in the market