Not Very "Croative"

Zagreb Travel Blog

The famous tiled roof... with beautiful scaffolding.

As any world-traveler knows, one of the most exciting parts of visiting a new country is the addition of a new stamp to your passport. And if that stamp is unique and attractive then the country has a better chance of winning a positive review.

I have been traveling abroad since 1997, and have accumulated quite the collection of stamps in my passport - it's kind of a trophy for me. Since my passport expired in mid-2007, I have been looking forward to filling my new one with many new stamps. However, with the ever-expanding European Union and their plain, boring stamp this task has proven more difficult. So when I found that on October 19, 2007, I would be able to take a day trip from my busy week in Ljubljana, Slovenia, I was obviously excited.

My anticipation grew as my train from Ljubljana neared the Slovenia/Croatia border. Croatia has yet to finalize the EU acceptance process (they'll be "in" soon, just not yet), so I knew I would be receiving a unique stamp in my new (and very blank) passport. To my chagrin the stamp left much to be desired in its design. I guess Liechtenstein spoiled me - if you've never been there, you have to pay to have your passport stamped; that's how cool the stamp is.

Overall, though, my limited experience in Croatia was a good one. I plan to visit again soon - possibly Dubrovnik.

xhris94 says:
thanks for the brief insight into a day trip to croatia. i am considering making the same journey by train from ljubljana on a day trip in a few weeks time. are the border controls strict? did you register with the police in zagreb, even though you were only there for the day?

Posted on: Jun 10, 2008
The famous tiled roof... with beau…
The famous tiled roof... with bea…
165 km (103 miles) traveled