The road to Hue

Hue Travel Blog

Flag over Imperial Citadel

Ok, I've a lot to catch up on, so have to assemble my thoughts fast.

I was beginning to think Vietnam was going to be like a bag of Revels where all you get are the Coffee flavoured ones - yuck! Thankfully, once in Hue I've started to love the place.. Anyway let's backtrack to my last entry, boarding the Night train. This was a seriously rough experience. Really cramped cabins which smelt of ... (fill in the blank yourselves) Most of the group got very little sleep, but I manged to acquire some strong whisky from a local on the platform and this switched my lights out nicely! My biggest issue is that by the time we arrive in Hue, it's a good 24 hours plus without a chance to use a washroom. This part of the itinerary seriously needs some re-working.

Reminders of the War, this place saw a hell of a battle..

Hue though is spectacular - a really nice town. We're staying in a great hotel (Queen Hue) which helps. So after the best shower in the world, we hit the road going up the Perfume River. First stop is the Quan Thuioc Pagoda - a really nice spot - so peaceful. Then it's on to Emperor Minh Mang's tomb which is stunning. Beautiful settings - apparently nobody knows where he is buried on an island to avoid looters. Perhaps the Pharoahs should have done this!!

We have a great (and really cute) local guide called Miss Tea - what a name. She's a lot of fun and gives us a great insight to the history of Hue. Later that evening we visit a few bars including a very lively one called DMZ. They know how to use the American (Vietnam) War to their advantage!! Evening is finished with a trip to the hotel's masseuse - a spitting image of Miss Tea - perhaps Miss Coffee. I won't go into detail, but the massage is very different to the Thai & Lao one's - interesting is all I'll say!!

Next morning, unfortunately we have to move on, but not before a tour round the Citadel which is again very striking and a lot of fun. Next up is Hoi An - a shoppers paradise - the girls are really excited about this one..

As the vietnamese would say "have a rice day" - so funny!!

Flag over Imperial Citadel
Reminders of the War, this place s…
Reminders of the War, this place …
Me at the Citadel