Vientiane

Vientiane Travel Blog

Quick stop for a tyre change

So here we are in Vientiane, last stop before we head for Vietnam.

Quite a bit bigger than the other places we've been in Laos, but still reasonably compact. Most of the group decided to hire a tuk-tuk for a half day tour. Came in at 50,000 kip each for about 4 hrs - not bad..

First stop was the Buddha Park. This is some way out of town and the road to get there is awful, but it is well worth seeing. All kinds of strange Buddhist and Hindu statues and a great place for photos. On the way, our tuk tuk suffered a tyre blow-out which was quite amusing. All off and standing roadside whilst other tuk-tuk drivers laughed at us.. Anyway we were soon back on the road.

After the Buddha park, we made a quick stop at the utterly pointless Friendship Bridge which joins Laos with Thailand.

Buddha Park, Vientiane
The bridge is about as plain as they come similar to any motorway bridge - don't waste your time here!!

Next up we paid a visit to the Beer Lao factory. Unfortunately we just missed the closing time for a tour (everything closes for lunch here) but still nice to get some pictures. That Luang was next - an impressive looking Wat, also very cheap watchs on sale at the nearby market. I picked up a Rolex for 5 $US but cot it 2 stalls up for $3US...

Final stop before we let our driver go for a well-earned lunch was at the Victory Monument - very similar to the Arc de Triomphe. Good views up top. The only hard part about the tour this morning was it was 42C and very humid to boot.

As I write this, we are about to leave for Vietnam. I have mixed views right now in that I have really taken to Laos, but as all good travellers know, you shouldn't regret the places you are about to leave, but focus on the places you are about to go to..

Goodbye Laos, you will always have a place in my heart!! Bring on Hanoi

Buddha Park, Vientiane
Me at the top of a Buddha jar.
Me at the top of a Buddha jar.
Mmmm, Beer Lao brewery, Vientiane
Mmmm, Beer Lao brewery, Vientiane
That Luang, Vientiane
That Luang, Vientiane
Patuxai, Vientianes answer to the…
Patuxai, Vientiane's answer to th…
Vientiane