Into Cambodia

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

Chilling at Chau Doc
Before I get to Phonm Penh, we stopped at a small little town called Chau Doc. This is basically just a transit town for those crossing into Cambodia. However it was actually a lot of fun. We hired some motorbike drivers who took us into the nearby Mountain to watch sunset. On the way we got a real taste of úp country Vietnam going past local villages and houses. These are really funny in that they basically consist of 1 room which is dominated by huge flat screen plasma tvs..god knows how they afford these!! We also stopped at a really cool temple - full of pickpockets - in fact it resembled the thieves guild..

After a fairly shabby meal, I turned in to watch the big match up between the Geckos and the Mosquitos & Friends - live in our room. Unfortunately the Geckos only turned up with 5 and were easily outgunned by the Mossies - they ran for the hills leaving myself and Lachlan to get eaten alive.
Starting my mountain descent

Next morning we head into Cambodia via a speed-boat. I chose a spot with the luggage which was actually really comfortable. They made us unload everything at the border just so they could use a new x-ray machine (which probably wasn't even switched on) and obviously we had to cough up the obligatory 1$ bribe to get our Visa, but we were soon on our way.

Phon Phenmh is way bigger than I expected - actually pretty nice. Went on a cyclo tour to get a feel for the place. These guys are really fit - I mean it's 42C and I'm sweating like a dog just sitting in the passenger seat. We round the night off by going to a place called Phong Yang - a Korean restaurant which is totally bizarre. Waitresses doubling up as a singers and then a karaoke free for all.
The boat into Cambodia
There was a hilarious Chinese guy called Mr Ding who was singing away and making a complete fool of himself - good times.

Next day is a bit more sombre as we take in the S-21 Genocide museum and then visit the Killing Fields - both these are quite harrowing - especially the Killing Fields where it looks so serene and peaceful yet at the same time bits of bone and rags of clothing protrude from the ground as a reminder that you are walking across mass graves..

After that we take a tour of the Royal Palace and SIlver Pagoda - which is confusing as hell - given it's only the floor that is silver and mostly covered by rugs. Final stop is Wat Phonm for sunset. A pretty full-on day given it's 42C

Tomorrow we head for Siem Reap which I'm really excited about...
The boat into Cambodia
Stark reminders at the Killing Fie…
Stark reminders at the Killing Fi…
Me at the Royal Palace