Cruising round Halong Bay

Halong Bay Travel Blog

Aboard our Junk - Bai Tu Long Junk

Ok, so I last left things waiting to go the Water Puppet show. I didn't have high hopes for this, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Kind of touristy, but really quite impressive handling of the puppets. Afterwards we ate at a local restaurant and then headed back to bed.. I bet there are some really nice bars to check out, but frankly it's such a hassle getting anywhere, I don't really fancy it.

Next morning we leave for Halong Bay. Drive is much longer than it looks on the map - takes about 4 hours.. But the junk is gorgeous. We're soon on board and tucking into a light (9 course) lunch!! Seriously tasty seafood. First up we visit Suprising Cave which is huge.. Don't think I've seen such a cavernous cave before really stunning. The karst rocks are stunning and the misty conditions gives a ghostly look to things - photos will follow later.

Inside Suprising Cave
After another huge dinner, we just kick back on the boat for a while before turning in for the night. Really comfy beds.

Next morning we rise early for breakfast, then take a bamboo boat through Tunnel Cave - nice if not spectacular. Arrive back mid-morning. On the way back we stop at a really cool place selling local weavings. I end up buying one for 100$ US - That's a big sum for out here, but it is gorgeous...

So now I'm back in Hanoi and - to be honest - can't wait to get the hell out of here! I really don't like the place - far too busy and chaotic and just such a hassle going anywhere I just can't be bothered... Interestingly the group is split on this one. Half hate it, Half love it - a bit like marmite. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Just killing time until our night train to Hue - hopefully this will be a bit less manic..

Till next time