Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Learning to cook Thai style

Right, so I left things boarding the night train to Chiang Mai.. This is actually my second time updating this page - endless drops in internet connection are going to be part of the fun of this trip I guess!!

So, the night train.. I've never been on one of these before so was not sure what to expect. First bad news was I drew the short straw and got top bunk. The beds are just slightly too short, so I got very little sleep. Aside from that though we were well looked after by Natalie, a transvestite who was so overly girly it was funny!

Once in Chiang Mai, went to a Thai Cookery school (SukSaBai) which was a lot of fun. Made 4 courses including a spicy soup, Pad Thai, Green Curry with Flaming Morning Glory & finally Bannana and Coconut creme. Really interactive and suprisingly easy to make these fantastic dishes. Got the recipe book as well, so will attempt these when I'm back in England.

Chiang Mai is quite a nice town, lots of activities to do. Visited another Wat - as you do - in the evening. Got blessed by a Buddhist monk at Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep Rajvoravihara (everything has really long names!!) Get to see the monks chanting as well. Next up Chiang Kong near the border..

PS: Really struggling with learning Thai. have mastered 2 words so far

Monks Chanting
Monks Chanting
Now this is a different Wat!!
Now this is a different Wat!!
Chiang Mai