five towns

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre is a beautiful coastal area where 5 towns sit perched on the cliffs over a stunning 12km distance. I stayed in the first town called Riomaggiore in a 5 person apartment-style accommodation, with our very own kitchen. I was lucky enough to meet a fellow Melbournian who had just done a cooking course in southern Italy, so he cooked up a storm on our first night. I also discovered the cheapest nice wine ever (in a Tetra pack), so all was looking good! Things got better when Tom and I decided to head to the only bar in town. Here we happened to meet a lovely (and rich!) Aussie on a holiday with her son. She took pity on us backpackers and bought us drinks! I didn't think the night could be topped off, but when we made the 2 minute journey back to our apartment, I found a friend I'd first met in Berlin (who I'd gone to the opera with) sharing the same room as me.
Riomaggiore
She promptly fell out of bed (literally) when she realised that it was me she was sharing a room with! Aah, I still have a chuckle thinking about that. Luckily no injuries were obtained, so I went to bed thinking this place was pretty bloody awesome!

The next day I got up to do the walk between the five towns. It was absolutely spectacular, with gorgeous coastal scenery around every turn. Each town is a mass of colours and it makes you wonder how the towns have survived all these years ago, given they seem to sit perilously on the edge of the cliffs. I had carried my bathers in my bag for the whole 10km journey, but unfortunately by the time I reached the final town, it was too cold to swim. Not too cold for a gelati though! I took a train back to Riomaggiore and spent the night eating and drinking with Tom and Emma.

I made the journey out to a coastal town called Camogli on my third day. This place had been recommended by the people I'd stayed with in Switzerland. It was absolutely lovely, but wouldn't you know it - the weather was perfect, but today I forgot my bathers! Oh well, a paddle was just fine. I did another walk (from the last town in Cinque Terre, Monterosso) on my way back. Got to see a lovely sunset and then returned back for more yummy food and drinks. This time with Emma and Brett (who I'd also met previously - on a walking tour in Florence. What a small world!)

My final day in Cinque Terre was quite miserable, but I did make one final effort to see a few sights - by visiting one of the 5 towns, Vernazza. The night was capped off with more cheese, olives, bruschetta and wine. We had another roomie, an Italian girl with us this night. She cooked up a storm (with half a cabbage!) and we absolutely loved it! Those Italians sure know how to cook! I was sad to say goodbye to Cinque Terre, but a traveller must move on...

Cinque Terre