Bogotá - Fernando Botero, the Man Who Paints Fat People

Bogota Travel Blog

Bogotá - Fernando Botero, the Man Who Paints Fat People

Colombian artist Fernando Botero is a living legend best known for his robust, inflated forms and exaggerated human figures.

Botero was born in Medellín in 1932. His father was a traveling salesman who traveled throughout Colombia’s rugged mountains by donkey. He died of a heart attack when Fernando was only 2, leaving Fernando’s mother to raise 3 young sons.

At an early age, Fernando showed artistic talent. At the age of 13, he began to paint scenes of bullfights and sell them in front of the arena for 5 pesos. At 17, El Colombiano, a Medellín newspaper, published his article, "Picasso and the Nonconformity of Art," which revealed Botero’s avant-garde thinking.

2 years later, he moved to Bogotá, where he had his first solo exhibition at the Leo Matiz Gallery.

I'd frown 2 if she were my daughter
Amazingly, every single one of his pieces sold. Ironically, Botero grew to have a hard time parting from his work. He became his own biggest collector, turning down huge fortunes from world-wide fans and collectors.

Like many South American artists, he went to Madrid and Florence to study the work of European Masters. In 1956 (age 24), he taught at the University of Bogota’s School of Fine Arts.

Botero’s signature painting style emerged in the mid 1960s. In 1969, he presented a collection titled Inflated Images at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. That exhibition established his reputation as a major painter worldwide.

His exaggerated paintings and sculptures portray his native Colombia. Despite his extensive travels and training, images of his childhood and beloved homeland are regularly seen in his work. However, he also brings in worldwide themes from different eras.

When asked why he paints “fat people”, he replied, “In art, as long as you have ideas and think, you are bound to deform nature. Art is deformation."

Lilliana77 says:
Congrats Mrrrrrrrr!! :D
All societies should look through Botero's eyes! hehehe :P
Have a great weekend as well! :D
Lord_Mike says:
Congratulations on your feature, and have a super July 4th!!!
kelleeoo says:
I love this Chubbyist artist. ;0) Nice to see you featured!
Id frown 2 if she were my daughter
I'd frown 2 if she were my daughter
Donación Botero (Botero Museum)
Donación Botero (Botero Museum)
Mona Lisa on steroids
Mona Lisa on steroids
Lets give Botero a hand
Let's give Botero a hand
I see...the Colombian Aunt Jemima
I see...the Colombian "Aunt Jemima"
Peek-a-boo, I see you
Peek-a-boo, I see you
I want to visit this town
I want to visit this town
Burp! Here mousie, mousie, mousie
Burp! Here mousie, mousie, mousie
Picasso self-portrait? - Hangover?
Picasso self-portrait? - Hangover?
Write your own caption!
Write your own caption!
Tiny ice cream cone for a big woman
Tiny ice cream cone for a big woman
Bogota Sights & Attractions review
Fun Art Museum - The Man Who Paints Fat People
BOTERO MUSEUM In 2000, Fernando Botero, the world's best-known and most highly regarded living Latin American artist donated over $100 million wo… read entire review
Bogota