Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo, Malaysia

Kuching Travel Blog

Hey O.K. That is my new camera

Kuching is the capital city of Sarawak on the island of Borneo. Sarawak is a state of Malaysia. It adjoins the Kingdom of Brunei. The other Malaysian state is Sabah...the other side of Brunei.... So now we have cleared that up! On with the blog. .........

Having booked my short stay in Sarawak as a package of flights and accomodation back in October I was really looking forward to this part of my trip. I guess Borneo is as far removed from Morocco as one could get and that was part of the appeal. I wanted a week stop-over in Singapore before returning home on my Etihad flight.....but felt Singapore was too expensive so after thinking about and rejecting Thailand and Kuala Lumpar I settled on Sarawak for a few days.

Not the most imaginative achitecture...but beautiful insideand perfect riverside position.
Mainly because I knew nothing about the place...and no-one who had ever been there...and it sounded very exotic!!!!!

I flew Malaysian airlines from Changi airport,Singapore...only 1.45 hour flight arriving in Kuching at 3.30 p.m....easy....and caught a taxi (20 minutes...17 Malaysian Ringett/$5.00AUD) to my luxery Hilton Hotel accomodation! Impressed from the moment I arrived in the country. Very lush vegetation, nice houses and buildings, good traffic flow, english widely spoken, Very friendly greeting at hotel and EXCELLENT air-con large room on 7th floor overlooking the Sarawk River and city!!!! May I add that the bed was huge and the most comfortable hotel bed I have EVER slept in!. The room and whole hotel was clean, modern, and well maintained.

Kuching Hilton
(Not always the case in Asian areas.) The Kuching Hilton was listed in the Oz brochures as 4 star...I would willingly upgrade this rating to 5 stars with perhaps 7 stars for service. At approx. $90 AUD per night for Room and one of the best Buffet breakfasts I have ever had the pleasure of eating...this hotel is EXCEPTIONAL value!!!!!!!! I know this sounds like a review..and I will do one later but I just need for you all to understand the wonder of such a place after 19 days in Morocco!!!!!.

The first thing I did was head down to the river walk and go for a wander. It was Hot and VERY HUMID but i strolled along casually taking in the sights. Checked out the little food stalls, market stalls and bought a hamburger for $3AUD....cheap as chips! and found myself at the wharf exactly on time to get on the Sunset River Cruise boat.

Kuching view from my window
It was 5.30 p.m. and perfect weather. I had assumed it would pour down with tropical rain every afternoon as it is the wet season...How lucky was I?!?

I enjoyed the cruise as the main commentary was given interspersed with electric keyboard live music. Saw some great sights as moving along the river at a leisurely pace. (see images- I bought a new Panasonic Lumix camera 12x optical zoom at Changi!). Was suprised to view the show of cultural dances on board on the return trip back down the river. Beautiful costumes, dancers and music...I even was invited up to dance at the end...I am never shy about joining in...and after a phot one of the dancers gave me an authentic Sarawakian braclet as a gift. ( As far as I know no-one else was given one- how special is that!). Feeling very happy to be in Borneo i walked back to my hotel.

River taxi
..the river walk was well lit and plenty of pretty street lights all around as well so did not feel nervous even after dark. It was still hot and HUMID so it was nice to go back to my wonderful room and sit in front of the plate glass window and take in the wonderful city /river views before going down for Buffet dinner at the hotel. EXCELLENT.Meal.....incrediable range of food and I managed to sample a huge variety before finally giving up about 2 hours later...what a feast..and the quality was excellent too!.

Found the "free for 15 minute" internet in the lobby and sat and enjoyed a red wine in the zere modern bar before going back upstairs...tired but happy.

Little did I know what was to lie ahead over the next few days.

Hey O.K. That is my new camera
Not the most imaginative achitectu…
Not the most imaginative achitect…
It is almost to perfect!