Visiting Tijuana

Tijuana Travel Blog

Tijuana Arch on Avenido Revolucion

Suzie wasn't very enthusiastic about going to Tijuana, but since I insisted that we go and assured her we would have lots of fun, she agreed.  We drove her truck down to San Ysidro and parked as close as we could to the U.S.-Mexican border.  From the parking lot we got a round trip bus ticket that took us directly to the heart of Tijuana's tourist section--Avenida Revolucion.  For anyone going into Mexico from San Diego, I highly recommend the bus option.  When we returned we were able to bypass the long lines and re-enter the U.S without much hassel.  This is well worth your $6.

The first thing to catch my attention was the Tijuana Arch and Suzie and I headed in that direction.

the donkey strangely painted to resemble a zebra
  Near the arch was a commons and several people dressed in traditional Azetc costume danced in and around a circle of incense.  I stopped to take a short video and left a $2 tip in the hat.

Walking down Avenido Revolucion was exhausting.  Every swindler and peddler called out for us to come in and visit their shop.  At first I attempted to use my perfunctory "no thanks," but I quickly learned that "no thanks" really wasn't necessary; instead, walking as fast as you can past them and giving them absolutely no acknowledgement worked just fine.  Shopping in Tijuana was laborous--not only did I have to contend with pestering shopkeepers, but I also had to pretend I only had $10 in order to successfully haggle.

I did buy some noteable things: an awesome shotglass that had old Mexican coins glued to it and a stone Aztec calender and chess set.

One thing we could not skip out was taking photos with the zebra.  Apparently this is something that has been going on in Tijuana for over 50 years.  I'm amazed at how many people have photos with the donkey painted like a zebra.  Even my roommate back in Virginia had one of her and her mother from 1985!  Suzie decided she absolutely needed a margarita before getting on the donkey (and I'm not one to turn down alcohol), so Suzie and I stopped into a restaurant offering two drinks for one special.  What a deal!  Not only was I completed buzzed from one margarita--which seldom happens for me--but the tab was only $5 for the both of us.

Of all the things we saw in Tijuana, the most beautiful was the old Jai Alai Palace.  I have been looking for information on this building, but the most I have been able to find out is that it is now used as a concert venue.

Suzie and I called it a day (for Tijuana at least) by 4pm.  Neither one of us wanted to stick around for nightfall.  We easily located our return bus and headed back to the U.S.A.  Note of caution: while you are riding on the return bus, the driver will make unexpected stops to pick people up in the street, offering them a $1 bus fare.  This becomes more frequent the closer to bus gets to the border crossing station.  Long lines prompt visitors to pay the $1 rather than wait.

Also, after you exit the bus and go through border control, quickly make your way back to the bus which will be waiting for you on the other side.  If you are not speedy, it will leave without you! (Trust me) And you will have to walk back to your car (1/2 mile) when you paid for a bus ride.

Do I think I'll ever visit Tijuana again?  Probably not.  It was fun for the experience but there's not a whole lot to it and it's not worth all the hassel.

mikarov says:
The jai alai, was in the past the center of jai alai a sport from basque country it was build at nearly at begin of xx century, but today there is more sport practice and now is a center hall, the hassle is bad but just ignore them
Posted on: Nov 04, 2007
Tijuana Arch on Avenido Revolucion
the donkey strangely painted to re…
the donkey strangely painted to r…
photo by: Sunflower300