How wrong was I?

Vienna Travel Blog

Okay, if I am totally honest I wasn't expecting too much from Vienna.  I knew it would be a beautiful city but I had it in my head that once I had done the obvious sight seeing I may be at a loss for things to do, especially of an evening.  Vienna was meant to just be a relaxing stepping stone between Ljubljana and Bratislava and I would use the time to relax.  This theory was strengthened by my first night in the city where I sruggled to find anything fun to do.

I did lots of walking today.  Aesthetically, Vienna is very beautiful once in the confines of the old city wall.  Some buildings which really stand out and somehow don't look out of place next to the newer buildings which have cropped up in the near vicinity.

But then, even these newer buildings, especially the shopping streets are done tastefully.  They are all pedestrianzed and there is plenty of space to move about.  If you have ever shopped on Oxford Street in London on a Saturday you will appreciate why these things make such a difference.

I won't bore you with the numerous buildings I visited but there are plenty of photo's below.

Evening time and I really didn't know what to expect.  I headed for an area known as the "Bermuda Triangle" as I had been told this is where most nightlife could be found.  It definately seemed busier than the previous night so I just wondered around a couple of the bars.  The names of a few I can remember are "1516" which brews it's own beer, a bar called "Gnadenlos" and finally one I settled in called "Rotter Engel" I think.

It was in here I met a chap called Severison (or similar) and to be honest he was a bit of a nutter but somehow we bonded.  I am not sure what it is about me but when I get chatting with locals in these cities they seem to take it upon themselves to get me drunk.  I figured it is rude to resist.  End of the night is vague but I do know that once this bar we were in closed he bundled me into a taxi and took me somewhere which was still open but only if you know the secret knock on the door.  He sent me home in a state at the end of the night which was quickly turning into morning...

Maybe Vienna won't be so bad after all!

Vienna