winderfil ook (marvellous week)

Lerwick Travel Blog

Well I thought I should keep you all up to date on my latest adventure. The month of May is my busy month where I have booked a lot of trips (holidays not work). My first trip at the end of April saw me jet of to the Shetland islands to visit my friend from university, Fiona. Getting there was an adventure in itself. First I had a flight Brussels-London, London-Aberdeen. Flying into Aberdeen was a nightmare with high winds and the plane kept nose diving and shaking, and for those of you who don't know i have a slight fear of flying so i was convinced it was the end. Lets just say i was thankful to get off that plane. I meet Fiona in Aberdeen and then we ferried on to Shetland. 10 hour overnight ferry ride, sea was calm and i had tablets so it was a nice trip. The folk festival was on, my reason for visiting at that time, so all the musicians played music for the trip up, it was very festive.

I spent my time on Shetland helping out at the festival selling raffle tickets, which meant i got free entry to the concerts in the evenings. if I thought I found French hard then I was in for a surprise when I couldn't understand what the people were saying on Shetland, Fiona's friends were very helpful and taught me some useful words and gave me a Shetland dictionary, thank you. the folk festival was held all over the Islands so one night we went further up north to the most northerly part of Britain (inhabited that is). The weather (surprisingly) was very nice and lots of people were out and about in shorts and t-shirts, although i still had my coat and jumpers on .

I saw seals or silkies basking on the rocks in Lerwick, the town where Fiona lives, visited old broken down buildings of some description from long long ago, saw very few trees actually i don't think i saw any and enjoyed great Celtic music. On the last day I got the gift of true Shetland weather with gale force winds and sleet it was a great farewell, especially since we choose this day to do some sightseeing. the ferry back was less enjoyable especially with all that wind, so i spent the 12 hours (longer this time) asleep in the cabin, even with the tablets I couldn't face being vertical.

jollyolley says:
I'm finding this a real puzzle. You actually got this to work and you couldb't work out how to send pics on email!!!!!

We're funny creatures.