To the jungle I go!

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Today was the first day of our jungle trek, but first visited the local market for last minute things, including some toys for the kids we were going to meet.

Trekking wasn't so bad today. It was only for a couple of hours, but we saw some of the most gorgeous views and lush vegetation. A local guide came with us as he knows the paths really well, and it just so happened that it was his place we were heading for in the first village. HIs name was 'D' and he was a complete nutter - like a mad monkey let loose in the jungle. We kept on hearing odd noises around us and rustling in bushes and trees the whole time we were walking. He obviously liked to amuse himself!

When we got to our first homestay, my first thought was how great it looked. Whatever I was expecting, was completely different to what we got. Yes the village had no electricity and no running water, but the houses and way of life were amazing. They were obviously used to having groups staying with them, but that was one of their incomes. Very friendly people that are great to speak with. The food was also amazing. As soon as we got to the village, 'D' showed us to his house, where we were sleeping, and then he and a few of the villagers started to make supper for us. We all sat around watching the preparation and the cooking. The best food I have ever eaten, I couldn't stop!

After supper, we all sat in a group and played cards by candlelight. We must of been up for hours because it was starting to get light when we went to bed. An extremely full-filling day I think!

Chiang Mai