Temples and night trains..

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

We went to visit Doi Suthep Temple today, situated at the top of a very steep windy road, which didn't do Lisa any good because she suffers from motion sickness. She made it though so its all good! Before we got there, we had 304 steps to get up. I just went for it and shot up those steps. The quicker the better!

The Temple was so pretty, full of all kinds of decorations and offering from people. There were a lot of people praying around us while we walked around. For me it was great to experience their normal practice and to really soak in what was going on. In one area, a few of us said a prayer and made a wish before shaking out one of many long sticks from a container. I'm not sure exactly what it was called, but each stick had a number on it, and whichever number your had, you picked up the corresponding prediction meant for your life. Almost like a mini horoscope. Mine was all good so i'm happy! We also had small wristbands put on us for god luck and protection.

In town, a group of us got lunch in a small cafe and then went back to the hotel to get our things ready for the night train. We had an hour to walk around before the train left so we put our bags in one big heap and went off to by some snacks for the journey. We ended up eating on the train anyway, so extra snacks for another time I guess.

The journey went slow for me because I couldn't really sleep. This was mainly due to the lights staying on all night and the numerous people snoring around me! It was also pretty cold so I had to put some walking socks on ;)

Chiang Mai