Parents arrive in London

London Travel Blog

Having returned the previous night (Thursday) from a long and arduous train ride from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, staying at YHA St.Pancras was a welcome relief. it's one of the best hostels I've stayed at (see previous page for review). Headed from the hostel to the hotel I'd booked for us (Quality Inn Paddington), I left my luggage there and caught the Heathrow Express to fetch my parents from the airport. They were arriving by the 10am Lufthansa flight.
Getting from the heathrow Express dropoff point to the terminals was a LONG walk by any standards. And so many elevations, staircases and all thrown in as well made it all the more difficult. I was hoping I'd arrive there early enough to receive my parents at the Arrival Lounge. Turns out that their flight had arrived early and they were waiting for me to come and get them! So we caught the H-Express back to Paddington and checked into our room.
The hotel (Quality Inn Paddington) is really really nice. And so's the area. We were staying in Tablot Square which is inside Sussex Gardens, very leafy and very safe area. Not to mention lots of cafes and restaurants in the entire block. The hotel by itself is clean. We took a room with 3 beds. Very comfy, nice TV and very quiet area. It wasn't the sort of room you'd hang out in, but ideal for a great sleep at night. And yes, no problems with hot water or any such. House cleaning was done promptly.
Anyway, back to the day - my parents were, surprisingly not jetlagged, so after lunch @ a nearby Italian eatery, we headed to Oxford Street (I'd already bought the 7 day passes for my mum and dad). It was already about 3pm or so by now. They were both finding it a little bit cold. There really was no specific purpose of going to Oxford street, but we found a great souvenir store there owned by some Sri Lankans. They had good deals going on. We got those souvenir London trays (the big ones) for a pound each. Lots and lots of souvenirs, photo frames, key chains, models of the Yeomans' and British Police models with a wire and clip sticking out of their heads vertically where you could clip fotos, the WORKS. All for a steal. We were very impressed with that store (I'm trying to think where it was...I know it was near a Pret-A-Manger, and it was in the direction from Oxford to TC Road).
Got back to the hotel early that day after dinner at some nearby Italian restaurant in Paddington, and slept early for the night.
photo by: ulysses