Buckingham Palace and Picadilly Circus

London Travel Blog

Victoria Station

Another hot hot day in London town! Today was s'posed to be the hottest, some 32C I believe, and I was not amused. As usual, the day started early, and by the time we caught the tube to Victoria and walked to Buckingham Palace, we could already feel the heat. My dad was really thrilled at the sight of Victoria! He'd stayed here around 20 years ago, and pulled out the video camera as soon as we got on the street. He kept taking footage of buses, buildings, just about everything. This delayed us easily by about 20 minutes!

I hadn't bought tickets for B'ham Palace, so I had to run all the way across the park to the ticket Office.

double decker buses outside Victoria Station
I bought the combined ticket for the Queen's Gallery and a tour of the Royal State Apartments. We started off at the Queen's gallery and it was nothing short of stunning. The display was primarily Dutch. I'm not really into art but even I was impressed. The commentary tape also helped. A whole hearted thumbs-up to the security there, the security checks, Xray baggage scan, etc is very promptly yet carefully done. That's the nice thing that I noticed about the British system this time. Everything's done in a prompt but low key way.

We got done with the gallery, lunch was perhaps the BEST we've had at a Sri Lankan rsnt nearby called "Sakera" which is close to the Palace. The food was not only cheap, but the host(ess) was polite, and the food was really good. I had fish curry, it was really really nice.

Now that we were fed and watered, we headed back to the Palace, and to the Royal State Apartments tour.

Buckingham Palace
There's only one simple word to describe the entire experience - "WOW". Everything from the carpets to the portraits to that lovely room where they do the knighthood, it was all just so perfect. Even the walls are so carefully crafted. It's just unbelievable. The tour took us about 2 hours, but the general heat of the day  had started to take its toll. We were so tired. In that room where they do the knighthood, the three of us actually took a 15 minute nap! To make things worse, my dad kind of lost himself on the tour (yes! he manages it EVERYWHERE!) and ended up going round and round in one part of the corridor. He finally came out, we got done by 3:30pm, and it was so hot outside. It's kind of annoying, it was like a Texan sky that day - all sun, not one trace of a cloud. we left by 4pm, reached our hotel at 5p and crashed. We were dead tired! After a small nap, we woke up, went for a walk around the area, dinner was at a South Indian rsnt in Leicester Square, "Woodlands". Nearby was a good souvenir shop, so we bought tons of stuff, and got back by 11pm, and slept.

Victoria Station
double decker buses outside Victor…
double decker buses outside Victo…
Gates at Buckingham Palace