Austin

Austin Travel Blog

Austin Bats
The problem with planning a long road trip is that the desire to see everything is strong, and so it has to be balanced with the desire to see each thing long enough to enjoy it. I think I struck an OK balance with Austin: I certainly am leaving a lot to see for another time, but I got to enjoy parts of the city and whet my curiousity. First of all, my friend Jess lives in Austin and was good enough to put me up and show me around, as well as let me use her wireless and also travel with me to Arizona (but that is another entry). The part of Austin that I knew we couldn't miss was the congress bridge bat colony. There are 1.5 million bats that have set up home under a major bridge in Austin and leave en masse each night around dusk. When we arrived there were many people all along the bridge, and we were able to see swarms of bats as they emerged from the cracks in the bridge. Awesome. Besides getting some awesome brisket, breakfast tacos, and much needed lattes, we also saw a midnight showing of District B13, which is a french action film set in 2010 Paris when a wall has been contructed around the undesirable neighborhood. Long story short, the action is mostly Parkour (the crazy freestyle urban gymnastics) which fit perfectly in a modern action movie. It was really a great film.
Austin