Kiev

Kiev Travel Blog

Theater of Kiev

In 2005 I was for the first time in the Ukrain. I just packed my bag and go. All by myself. It was for me a dream to go to the Ukrain, I always wanted to go to that country when the communist wall felt in 1990. But it was very difficult to get in, you needed a visum which was very difficult to get. So Czechoslowakia was the first time I went to Eastern Europe in 1992. But in the beginning 2005 things changed, a new ukrain president came and no visa was necesarry to visit the Ukrian. A few weeks later I booked a hotel and a ticket from Amsterdam to Kyiv and go.

The flight was easy. Two and a half hours and the flight from Amsterdam to Borispol is concluded. I took a cap to the Tourist hotel. I must say, that was not very cheap, I payed about 30 euro's and next time I will take the bus.

Independant square Kiev
But when you there for the first time, I played on safe. The hotel I booked from Holland. It was a few miles outside the centrum. It looked a bit old, but it is very easy to take the Metro tho the heart of the city. Also there is a market just outsite the hotel, very easy for provide during visiting the city. You buy your drinks and fresh food for a bargain on the market. Also if you want to go to Hydro park for a swim, all the stuff for swimming is available on the market.

To go to the city I took the metro from Levoberezhna  to Kreshchatyk. In the city the main square is very pleasurable. I was very lucky that the weather was absolutely great, 25 degrees. The square is very much alive with all kinds of Ukrian people. I was one full day in Kiev, and I visited the St.

Independant square, old telephone cell
Michael's monastery and the St. Sophia's cathedral. They were visable from the independant square so very easy to find. At night the independant square was a great place to visit. There were many bands celebrating the independance of the Ukrain, so there was so much to do for the entire evening.

I had only one conclusion: one full day is too little for Kiev!! I also should have bought a lonely planet. Before I finded out how it works in this city, my time had allready passed and I was on the train to Luhansk. But Kiev is so near by my country, there are plenty of opportunaties to go back, which I did in 2007.

Funny thing: when I came back in 2007 the independant square was changed. The old telephone cell (see on photo 3) and victory bow (see on photo 4) were gone! The replaced it by house of glass with a pool of water.

Independant square Kiev
Independant square, old telephone …
Independant square, old telephone…
Independant square, Victory bow
Independant square, Victory bow
Sofiyska square
Sofiyska square
Independant square
Independant square
Kiev Hotels & Accommodations review
Tourist Hotel, Kiev
The Tourist Hotel is situated on the left bank of the Dnipro river. This 3-star rated hotel is the biggest hotel in Kiev with 27 floors. It is also th… read entire review
589 km (366 miles) traveled