Queenstown, Franz Josef, Hokitika, Punakaiki, Christchurch, Kaikoura

Kaikoura Travel Blog

Near Queenstown
After two rainy and really cold days in Queenstown (I hardly did anything) I made my way to Franz Josef. This is a small town near the Franz Josef Glacier which is the fastes moving glacier (30cm a day). The next day I joined a 3/4 day glacier walk which was really good. However, it was quite tireing as it was almost like climbing up step for about 4-5 hours. But anyway, it was really interesting and exciting! I really enjoyed it!

On Sunday, I went by bus to Hokitika which is on the West Coast. Originally, I wanted to stop there becaus there are some studios where you can carve your own peace of Jade! However, I didn't realise that it took a whole day and that the studios where closed on Sundays anyway.
Franz Josef Glacier
So I just went for a walk on that beautiful beach and in the evening I went with four Americans to the Glow Worm Track.

On Monday, I took the bus to Punakaiki. That's where the famous Pancake Rocks are. As I went out of the bus I met Heiki, a german girl. She stayed at the same backpackers as I did and so we walked together to the hostel which was a long 15 mintues away (It's always quite hard if you have to walk with your two heavy backpacks....but it's good training.. ). At the hostel I met Eric again. He is cycling the south island for 3 weeks. I already met him about 2 weeks ago in Lake Tekapo. It was really funny and unexpecting to see him again! We decided to go all for a walk (Heiki, Eric and I). First we went through a beautiful forest whith all the farntrees. After that we made our way to the coastal walkway which was about 3k from the hostel.
Franz Josef Glacier
The coastal walk was absolutly stunning and we all enjoyed it very much. We also had to do some climbing to get to the most beautiful bays. That was sometimes quite scary but we had a really good guide in Eric... After dinner, we (Eric, Carouw (I'm sure I speld it wrongly), Abdullah and I) went into the hot spaa. As it was really hot the two crazy Americans decided to ran over to the sea and have a little refreshing bath in there. Well, I had to try that too and really enjoyed. It was a really really nice and exciting day, infact one of the best days in New Zealand so far!

Yesterday, I took the transalpine train from Greymouth to Christchurch over the Arthur Pass. It was quite nice but not the money worth if you ask me. It's just one of those passes which we've got in Switzerland. Back in Christchurch I met an Irish guy from Dublin. He hates Dublin and doesn't really know what to do in his life....it seems everyone is searching for something....Heiki, the german girl didn't know where home is either....somehow, this is quite sad....

This morning, I had to get up at 6.15 to catch the bus at 7 to Kaikoura. And here I am now. It is a beautiful day. The sun is out and it is getting warmer now. Thank god!!! The sea is unbelievably beautiful! I'm soooo lucky and really really happy to be here!!!

Tomorrow, I take the bus to Nelson and I'm going to stay there for a while....

Franz Josef