How to celebrate Christmas as a backpacker...

Trujillo Travel Blog

Backing Christmas cookies

First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you!!

As I wrote in my last journal, I intended to stay in Picton for a month to work in a backpackers. Well, it didn't work out quite well and I decided to go back to Nelson the same day I arrived in Picton..... I was in a real mess and didn't know what I wanted at all. At some stages, I just wanted to quit travelling and go back home.

But I talked to a lot of other backpackers and they all assured me that this is completly normal and they experienced the same problems. However, I decided not to leave Nelson until I exactly knew what I'm going to do with myself and my further travels. I ended up staying for just over 2 weeks and spent Christmas there as well!!

Christmas as a backpackers and in a sunny warm place like Nelson felt strange.

Backing Christmas cookies
... however, we made the best of it and even backed cookies as we normally do in Switzerland around Christmas! On Christmas eve, we went to the carol singing infront of the cathedral in Nelson. That was really nice as there were many people and all of them had a candle and were singing. But still, it didn't feel like Christmas to me. I guess it was just to warm... After that, we (Gisela, Germany: Reto, Switzerland: Patrick, Belgium: Paul, England: Thomas, Sweden: Kirsten, Canada and two English girls) went to a pub with live music. But as it was Christmas eve they closed at midnight. So I went and called my family. After that, Gisela and I decided to watch Bridget Jones Diary 2 but we were both to tired and went to bed. So, that's how I celebrated Christmas (in Switzerland we celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve).
Our moon cookies
Christmas day itself was nothing special. I went jogging like everyday (to the beach and back) and then just talked to the other backpackers. My Christmas Dinner was Risotto and after dinner we watched a really strange movie.....

Yesterday, I took the ferry to Wellington. Wellington is a really nice city with lots of nice buildings and art sculptures all over the place.

Today, I met Reto, the Swiss guy I met in Nelson and we had a coffee at Starbucks. In the afternoon, I went to the Te Papa Museum which was quite interesting.

Tomorrow, I'm travelling to Turangi and hope to be able to do the Tongario Crossing the next day.

Photos will follow!