Langkawi Travel Blog

During my recent visit to Langkawi, I have the oppurtunity to try this so called Canopy Trekking.This activity has been described as air trekking, aerial canopy discovery and canopy adventure. I prefer the term, Tarzan trail. Langkawi Canopy Adventure is one of two rainforest canopy trails in the world. The other one is in Costa Rica.

The setting is at Gunung Raya, Langkawi's tallest mountain and home to some 400 tree species, an array of wildlife and at least 40 species of snakes. A guided trek up the 890m tall granitoid mountain is a popular rought-it-out option, though a different sort of adrenaline rush can be found just a few hundred meters into the primary rainforest.

It involves abseiling, rappeling, climbing, jungle trekking and gliding high above ground on a cable system with safety and brake hand rails, platforms and a postman's bridge.

Highest priority to safety, equipment maintenance and detailed instruction has been given to each partipants before we can start the activity.

There are two adventure trails available. The first involves air trekking between three platforms, crossing the postman's bridge which spans 10m (32ft) across an abyss and abseiling 20m(65ft) down a huge boulder. The second adventure covers the entire trekking system including the last run of 120m (394ft) and what has been called "leap of faith" into towering tree. After this leap, there are no more exits. There's no more chance to turn back. We had to abseil from the 30m (98ft) tall tree.

The adventure lasts four hours. But the buzz in my head stays and some aching muscles remind me of the mind-blowing experience. It was an awesome experience in my life. It really literally took my breath away. Seeing the forest from up there while gliding is a fantastic experience.

Majestic-travel-tour says:
wow that's great and seems really adventurous. I would love to try for it
Posted on: Oct 25, 2011
jeonli1978 says:
Hahahaha...luckily i didn't met one of them....
Posted on: Nov 18, 2007
Ferreira says:
sounds great!
just don't like the 40 species of snakes :-D
did you get to see any of those fellows?
Posted on: Nov 16, 2007