Summary of Sedona

Sedona Travel Blog

Sedona is a lovely place. The really-blows-your-mind kind of nice. There are 2 major roads in Sedona, the 89 which goes West and a bit north, and the 179 which runs north-south but ends where it meets the 89. Most of the action that I saw in terms of restaurants and shopping is located in West Sedona and Uptown Sedona, with the nicer stuff in Uptown Sedona. The 89 also takes you to Oak Creek which is really amazing - rushing water in the middle of this desert. No matter where you stay, you are practically ensured amazing views of the rocks, and no building seems to be built more than 2 stories high to preserve the scenery.

Eko and I rushed around a lot on the day and a half that we spent here, and I have a few recommendations from the things I was able to see and those things I heard of.

Must do:

Canyon Breeze in uptown Sedona - grab something or bring your own food and sit on the gorgeous patio. It's like a huge desert diaroma is in front of you - one of the most unbelievable sights to just relax with food in Sedona.

Take a Pink Jeep tour. This seemed so kitchy it was my last choice so I tried to book with a dozen other tour companies, but because of the sheer amount of people that book Pink Jeep tours, they have the most regular tours. Other companies kept pushing back our excursion due to lack of filling tours.

Eat Cactus Fries at Cowboy Cafe. We're lucky in LA as we have access access to very authentic and varied Mexican food, which includes cactus quesadillas. But if you'd like to try some cactus while you're in Sedona, here is the place! =)

Visit the Church of the Rocks (I think that's what it's called).
You get some gorgeous views and see one of the most interesting architectural structures in Sedona, as it is built right into a crop of rocks. Free to visit.

Buy a piece of pottery - Most of the artwork here is made by locals, some even from Native Americans. Horses, bears and the figure of the kokopeli are common themes on these pieces of pottery. I wish I could have taken pictures of some of the fantastic creations that I saw, but I forgot to! Small pottery souvenirs (the size of your hand) can range between $10 to several hundred, but most are closer to the $10 range. Many materials, processes and colors are used among the artists to create very unique pieces.

Hang out somewhere along Oak Creek. This lush river runs pretty far and we hear you can sometimes see deer on the protected side.
Church of the Rocks

Go see an Indian Ruin. There are so many and I imagine they are all as mindboggling as the one I saw of a Sinaguan cliff dwelling in the National Forest. I wish we had time to see Montezuma's castle and Montezuma's well as well as the Hopi lands, but I'll have to save that for the next time.

I particularly recommend the Pink Jeep ancient ruins tour, as you get to see a few more rock formations out of the back of a Jeep on your way through the Forest. There are interesting things along the way, including people who built their own houses and cabins and have solar panels to generate electricity and their own miniature water towers. (Because it's a national forest there is no running electricity or water allowed). We even saw a famous dirt bike champion but nobody knew his name. One of the guys in our Jeep who was a local yelled "Hey I know him! His father killed my mom's cat! I hate him!" What a weird weird place Sedona is.
Eko and the Pink Jeep

American Indian tribes disappearing off the face of the earth is always a mysterious and puzzling thing. The Sinaguans and Anasazi are no different, but it's always amazing to see what they were able to leave behind, no matter how small. Particularly wondrous are the remnants of their pictographs on the walls and the interpretations of what they might mean. How the pictures have survived for 1000s of years is beyond my understanding..

AndiPerullo says:
Awesome, awesome review! Very helpful dear. You make me want to go back NOW.
Posted on: Nov 19, 2007
Oak Creek Canyon
It's gorgeous here. You kind of have to wonder what happened to the earth that such interesting outcroppings seem to have sprang from the earth in such fantastic forms.

Everyone has special names for the rock croppings. From Bell Rock to Cathedral Rock to The Coffeepot rock to the Two Nuns, I can barely keep them straight! But one thing is for sure, they are gorgeous in all seasons and are a stupendously dramatic backdrop to a fairly sleepy town.

Apparently the geological layers seen in these mountains are almost identical to the ones seen in the grand canyon. Sandstone up top, and a bunch of other layers I can't remember names for a bit further down. I think there are something like 14 layers in all, and the most gorgeous thing is that you are allowed to hike through them!! Or camp up on the summit if you like, although campfires are not allowed during certain seasons for fear of forest fires (apparently a vagrant burned up the whole top of one mountain about 4 years ago).
Sinaguan cliff drawings

What a fantastic gift. If anyone ever hikes these mountains I would love to see pictures. I bet the view is pretty insane. I'll tell you I won't be doing it anytime soon, as I got winded from the 1/2 mile hike up a staircase to see the the Indian Ruins. Granted the grade was a bit steep, but still surprised me considering the excellent air quality in Sedona!

The tour guides are really knowledgeable and one of them encouraged visiting during rainy season, as the rain cascades down these cliffs in waterfalls and rivulets. The mere thought of seeing these bright red formations being covered with waterfalls fills me with such awe - I will definitely be back, in my raingear, to see this splendid sight!

Sadly, did not get to visit any vortexes, although the four that exist are within sight of the major roads.
Cliff Dwellings
I was fairly surprised at the fact that most locals, though mentioning that they existed, did not believe in them at all! For those of you who haven't heard of an energy vortex, they compare it to acupuncture and how there are meridians on our body that can tap into energy flow. Vortexes are spots on the earth that are similar to these meridians. They all seem to be located on hills (not mountains) that are easily reachable within a short hike. That will also be on my next to-do list in Sedona!
jenn79 says:
Hahaaa =)
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008
acowboy says:
My backyard rocks...
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
I KNEW you'd love it! Gorgeous pics babe. Can't wait to see more. Enjoy your last couple of days...
Posted on: Nov 17, 2007