Budapest, Hungary

Budapest Travel Blog

Well since I had heard nothing but good things about the city, I figured that this was a most do on the list this time!!   We stayed at a place called the Green Bridge Hostel, located  in the heart of the city.  The staff, room and location were the best that I have seen for hostels.  This said, I was surprised on the cost (roughly C$33 per night) considering we were sharing accommodations and in Eastern Europe.  I would recommend to fellow travellers but I am sure that you can find some better accommodations for that price.

My first recommendation would be to get a it carefully, remember a couple main streets in the city then throw it away cause it is useless.  Then go fine a compass or GPS to navigate around the city cause you WILL get lost!!   Having said this, the city definitely did not disappoint, from the amazing views, castles, and let us not forget the most incredibly beautiful women in Europe it is a great place to visit!!

The night life is amazing, I would recommend heading down to the Jewish Quarter and hitting some of there many bars ��" believe me there are MANY bars.  We got incredibly lost one night and one of my buddies and I went on the pub crawls of all pub crawls and hit over 25 bars...finally stumbling home at 6:30 in the morning, after getting ridiculously lost.  We remarkable got to see some of the Stanley Cup playoffs at that time at a local pub!!

For those of you who enjoy cycling, we decided to do an unguided bike tour in this city ��" believe it or not, we got lost!!  This said, despite getting lost and going up a couple very steep inclines that I could have done without, we did find all the sites that we wanted to go to.  Pest parliament, caves, Buda Castle and Church as well as some incredible views.  There are some good bike paths on the Buda side, which is much better then weaving your way through traffic.

The one BUST, and I mean worst money ever spent ever was the so called “SPA”...we did not realize that spa stood for “Fat hairy Hungarian men in speedos as far as the eye can see!!”  To make things worst, the sauna and hot tubs where not even hot!!  All to say, half a day in my life that I will never get back....well I was only there for 1 hour, but it took us 4 hours to find it.

From here, we were off to Paris...once again, no alarm clock meant yet another all nighter to make our 7 am flight!!  Never boarded a flight so hammered...I passed out during the instructions and was woken up 3 times by the stewardess...
photo by: Chokk