Berlin, Germany

Berlin Travel Blog

Enough said

Well things got interesting even before crossing the border...given that all three of us were world class travellers (well maybe not), we figured we did not need an alarm clock – IDIOTS!!  So our theory was to just pull all nighters as needed...soo after passing out immediately after getting on the train…I was kicked and a not so gentle voice woke me up yelling “WAKE UP!!! CZECH POLICE!!!”  The memory is still to this day a blur, and I actually thought it was my buddies pulling a prank on me...but it was the real thing, oh well it could have been worse!

Although the Berlin transportation system is quite organized and impressive, it was also confusing for the three of us..

Hanging out at classy bar
.probably does not help that we had only slept 8 hours in the last 5 days, were ridiculously hung over and it was pouring rain outside, but on the plus side we eventually made it to our hostel. We stayed at the generator hostel which had highly been recommended by a friend of ours, but unfortunately everyone staying there was under 17 years of age!! Having said this, as far as hostels goes it was relatively modern and clean and only a short tram ride from the heart of Berlin.

Given that we were first timers in the city, we unfortunately did not get to see all the sites.  The highlight of the trip was definitely the bike tour we took of Berlin.  We got to see many of the most important sites of the city in less than 4 hours and get a brief history lesson at the same time.  I would say that this bike tour is a definite must for all travellers.

Brandenburg Gate
Given that we had a very limited time in Berlin, we had to chose our activities carefully.  The history museum was by far the best I have ever visited recounting the events of both WWI & WWII.  You should also head over to Check Point Charlie and the Berlin Wall to say you have been there – but be warned that there is not much to see.  We also went to the Pentergon museum, which I would not recommend since most of the exhibits are reconstructions.

If you have never had the opportunity to see a concentration camp, I would recommend that you go visit the one near Berlin – Sachsenhausen.  This was the second time for me visiting one, and the emotions that you feel are truly overwhelming and everyone should take the opportunity to pay their respects to everyone that perished in the camps.

Berlin Wall

As for entertainment, it seems as though the bigger the dive and the more graffiti you see in the place the more happening it is!!  We did a pub crawl with a group, which unless you are into meeting fellow travellers that speak EN (Brits, Australian, Canadians and Americans) I would not really recommend.  There are so many bars in the city that you can do your own pub crawl.  As far as eating goes, I think that Germany in general has some of the top food in Europe, if you are a vegetarian...well good luck with that!!

As far as cities goes, Berlin is probably the most unique and rich in recent history that I have been to.  I am still shocked at the graffiti that is virtually everywhere in the city, but at the same time you never feel like you are at risk.  Would recommend to spend 5 days in the city if you want to see everything.

Memorial at Concentration Camp
Memorial at Concentration Camp
Cruising on my bike in front of Re…
Cruising on my bike in front of R…
Berlin