Robben Island, Cape of Good Hope....

Cape Town Travel Blog

Prison Robben Island

It's amazing how time flies! I already saw so many nice places and met so many nice people!

Last Monday, we went on the Robben Island Tour. That's the island where Nelson Mandela was in prison. We went on a bustour around the island and after we had a look around the prison. It was quite interesting but unfortunatly I could only understand half of what they were saying as they spoke with a really strong South African accent!! It was an ex-prisoner who showed us the prison and also told us some stories about life in prison. I didn't quite get it why he was imprisoned but it was because of a political thing....Anyway, the weather was not good at all on this day and the trip to the island was really bumpy!! However, I wasn't sick although I didn't take any pills against sickness.

...

On Tuesday, we (Fiona, who will be at the same project as me) decided to go on an Hopp on Hopp off bus to see other places in Cape Town. We catched the bus at Waterfront and hopped out in town. Then we just wandered around and found the gardens which is a really nice place with all the museums. There we also saw some squirels (don't know if this is spelled properly :-)  ). The next stopp was at Camps Bay which is a really beautiful place too. It has got a really nice beach. We had lunch there and just drove back to Waterfront along the coast.

We were all looking forward to Wednesday as we were booked on a tour to Cape Peninsula. At 8 in the morning we were picked up. Our first stopp was Hout Bay were we could do a boat trip to a seal colony. As I've already seen many seals in Australia I first decided not to go on the boat.

Cape of good hope
But then our guide told us that they've spotted whales recently so I had to get on the boat! However, we didn't see any whales and the trip was rather disappointing for me.... Afer driving another 20 min we had the oppertunity to cycle along the coast for about 30 min. That was quite hard because of the strong wind which blew against us. But it was really nice to do some exercises! We had lunch and drove to Cape Point where we climed up to the light house. That was really nice and we had an amazing fiew. Later on, we walked to Cape of Good Hope. On the way back to the bus, we saw some Dassies. These are like little bears. Really really nice things. We also saw austriches (wonder if that's spelled right) and Baboons. After that, we went to a beach where a colony of penguins live. That was really amazing and I hardly cound't stop taking pictures. They are really funny creatures! I really enjoyed this trip a lot as we saw lots of wild animals and I can't wait to go on the safari!!!!

Today, Bronwin (from Australia), Jo (from London) and I went up Table Mountain. The view was stunning and the weather is really nice.

Hope to get some pictures on the internet but this is a really slow line so I probably have to wait until this evening...

Dassies at Cape of good hope