The road to hell

Kolimbia Travel Blog

Canal

Next on our things-to-see list was Epta Piges aka 'the seven springs'. Locals call it "the little secret paradise of Rhodes". Secret my ass! There isn't a single brochure about Rhodes that doesn't mention Epta Piges. I didn’t find the place nearly as spectacular as the brochures describe. All I saw was a dry, rough landscape with a little stream which is led in to canals. The Canals are found in the shadow of enormous plane and pine trees. In summer, for that reason, it is a refreshing and relaxing refuge. But other than that, not much to look at in my opinion. Nevertheless, there is a story to tell about the place.

The springs are situated on a hillside and not by the main road.

Canal
To get to the springs, you have to drive up a steep mountain road. For me, that is no problem of course. My wife however, is not very keen on heights. The reader could have derived that from my previous entry. The road that leads up to the turn is your typical mountain road: the mountain on one side, a cliff or canyon on the other. In this particular situation, it means my wife was already on the top of her nerves. However, the turn came and I drove up the mountain road in first gear. As mentioned, the road was pretty steep. Nevertheless, after about 25 meters or so the engine made such a high rev sound that I decided I needed to change gear. As the attentive reader already knows, the purple dinky toy I'm driving, is not my own. I therefore didn't know the ins and outs of the car. Add to that, my lack of knowledge about the local roads plus the fact that I had only been driving a car for a few months.
Without much thought, I put my foot on the clutch and my hand on the stick, ready to shift. As soon as I did, the motor stalled and the car started backing off the mountain. My wife, who had her eyes closed all the time, now squeaked, shrieked, and started yelling, "Let me out of the car". As soon as the car started rolling backwards, my well-trained reflexes made me step on the break while pulling the hand break up to the point I thought the cable would brake. Immediately the car stopped. My wife got out of the car and decided she was going to walk the rest of the way up. I started the car once more and drove off. After 20 meters, I happily waved at my wife as I passed her on my way up. As I said, the springs themselves aren't very special. After a short stay at the top, we were heading back. Innocent as I am, I thought driving down was less scary for my wife so I asked her to join me in the car. She wasn't to be persuaded; she insisted on walking downwards as well. Once down, she got back in the car with me but not before she'd let me promise I would never do this to her again. Of course, I never did.

aloneinthecrowd says:
I know it'll be fun for Klaus to scare me with that road ;)
Sweetski says:
Hehehe Jutta, why not? At least now you are prepared and know what to expect.
aloneinthecrowd says:
Ok, that's defenitely a place we'll hike and not drive :p
Kolimbia