Adios Argentina!

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

"Florianopolis on my mind"

Tomorrow we are leaving for a new adventure, one that I am honestly very excited about. We are leaving for Florianopolis Brazil which from what I have gathered so far is a much slower-paced city in Southern Brazil. It is an island off the southern coast of Brazil, and is the capital of Santa Caterina. Although in Atlanta I consider myself a "city girl" I have come to the conclusion that I am not as much of a big city girl as I thought. I have decided that to conisder yourself a "city person" you must be able to live in a large city for an extended period of time without having the need or urge to have to "escape" or go to the country side to relax. Not be be misunderstood--I really did enjoy my stay in Buenos Aires, but I am an adventerous explorer and I am ready to conquer a new city.

wow!

There is much that I will miss about Buenos Aires, and much that I will be glad to leave behind. Although I will admit that one of my nicknames on the trip is the "poo poo smasher" I know that I will not miss the hundreds of piles of dog 'business' that I have to dodge everyday. In France they have what I like to call the Poo Poo Police which just drives around a vaccums up all the poop on the sidewalks, I feel that the French should come Argentina and teach them a thing or two about this!

I will gladly leave behind the ridicilious and unbearable amounts of pollution and cigarette smoke in the city. As a random fact, Argentina has the highest rate of cigarette smoke out of any other country in Latin America! ...Goodbye!...

I will mostly miss the wonderful people that I have met in Buenos Aires.

breathtaking...I cant wait
Although on the outside the people do not seem very friendly, they lack the "southern hospitality" that we have in Georgia. They do not know how to smile at a complete stranger, or make converstation with someone random. I do not blame them for having the big city mantality. It is the native people, however, that you have the occasion of meeting, and their true genuinity and hospitality that I will miss. It is people like Selina, Laos, and company that I will miss.

I will miss the cafes here, the many mornings, afternoons, and evenings I have spent with my friends chit chatting drinking a submarino, or a cafe con leche, and munching on some medialunas. The coffee here cannot be compared to Starbucks, and more importantly the atmosphere of the cafes, and the abundance of the cafes cannot be explained without visiting.

reminds me of the crystal clear water in the Bahamas
Care to join me for a coffee? ;)

I had a great time while in Buenos Aires, it was great learning about a new culture, and being completely submerged into an unknown enviornment, one in which I couldnt communicate at all with the locals. By now, however, I feel that although my Spanish is not nearly where I would like it to be I have progressed alot. I am now comfortable doing things alone, such as going to the laundry mat where Maria (the laundry mat person) is always there to greet me with a smile, going to the locotorio to use the internet and make phone calls, going to cafes, and shopping. The first week I hauled poor Hannah around with me everywhere to translate. Now that I am beginning to feel comfortable and at ease it is time to pack up my stuff and move on!

I am happy that all the Spanish speaking people of the group will get a taste of my medicine--being submerged in an enviornment where you cannot communicate at all. It should be interesting to see how the entire group gets around--not having ONE single person that speaks portuguese. I am so excited about the language classes! Bring on the next new challenge! :)

I looked up some pictures of Florianopolis and me being the aquagirl that I am, I feel like I will be right at home. It looks so beautiful! I will keep you all updated:)

Florianopolis on my mind
"Florianopolis on my mind"
breathtaking...I cant wait
reminds me of the crystal clear wa…
reminds me of the crystal clear w…