The Schengen Agreement and me.

Prague Travel Blog

The Schengen Agreement is great... but not for me. I guess I will have to do wihtout stamps in my passport for every European country I go to by train... etc. Sad day. I believe it came into play today in the Czech Republic.

The 1985 Schengen Agreement is an agreement among most Western and Central European countries which allows for the abolition of systematic border controls between the participating countries. It also includes provisions on common policy on the temporary entry of persons (including the Schengen Visa), the harmonisation of external border controls, and cross-border police co-operation. By the Treaty of Amsterdam, the agreement itself and all decisions having been enacted on its basis had been implemented into the law of the European Union.
A total of 30 states, including all European Union states and three non-EU members (Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland), have signed the agreement, and 24 have implemented it so far. The Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom only take part in the police co-operation measures and not the common border control and visa provisions. Border posts and checks have been removed in the Schengen area[1] states (see section Customs control) and a common 'Schengen visa' allows tourist or visitor access to the area.
Sunflower300 says:
How disapointing.
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007
sybil says:
yep, i hear ya. i went all over western europe.... but only have a stamp at gatwick (because it was my point of entry and exit)... no stamps from spain, france, netherlands, austria, germany, liechtenstein, greece, italy... waaaah!

are you having fun in praha????
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007
postaltiburon says:
I know what you mean. I just got back from Spain, but I changed planes in Germany, so I have a German passport stamp, but no Spanish one...The same thing happened in October when I went to Finland. I have an Icelandic stamp, but no Finnish ones... :(
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007