Makati & Mall of Asia!

Manila Travel Blog

Makati Skyline

Now at the start of my trip I got to experience Makati from a business side. So since the Tagatay trip that I had requested on the day before wasn't available I decided that this day I would experience Makati from a tourist point of view - the plan was to begin at the American Cemetary, go to the Ayala Musseum and then end up at Fort Bonifacio. But no such luck. With my mind set for adventure I went on the LRT train to Baclaran and then get a cab to the cemetary.

The adventure really became adventureous as the train from United Nations was full to the extent of me feeling like one of the tomatos in a can of just that - squeezed tomatos. Not untill EDSA which is the station before Baclaran did it start to loosen up. Anyway arriveing in Baclaran was somewhat of an experience.

Makati
The first thing I steped into was a huge wet market, which was really WET! There was water and dirt everywhere and the air smelled like piss. The onley thing that went through my mind at this point was to get out of this place and after a 15 min. walk I acctually arrived at an intersection with a small square where I thought it looked like an ok spot to flag down a taxi. I realised that I was not the onley one in desperate need of a ride. After loosing 4 taxi's to routhless locals who was just as interested in the taxi as I, was I acctually able to get one. I asked him to take me to the american cemetary in Makati. "Cemetery" he repeated. Knowing that Makati had another cemetary as well I underlined "Yes - the american" and he went like "yeah" and started driving.
The Peninsula, Makati
Not fully sure if he knew where I wanted to go I said "The U.S. Cemetary" and he said "Ohhh U.S. Cemetary, ok" - now I felt confident that I would reach my destination. But as we went into Ayala Blvd. he asked where in Makati this cemetary was, okay now I was a bit annoyed and I just asked him to drop me off at the Greenbelt - and at the same time I planed to get a local Makati taxi there.

But as we aproached Greenbelt I noticed the Ayala Musseum and figured okay then I can just as well start there., it's easy to walk back to.

Dead sure that I had pictured the right direction I started walking back towards Ayala Ave. - then turning left and there it was supossed to be - but no way. Went all the way down to Sen. Gil Puyat but no Ayala Musseum.

Sultan Dipurad of Mindano
So I decided to take a glance at my notes saying that the musseum was not at Ayala Ave. but on Makati Ave. Now it struck me that in the first tunnell I passed through there was a sign for Makati Ave. Okay! All the way back.

As I reached the tunnell I asked a police officer for directions to Makati Ave. which was in it self okay but standing there in the intersection with the decission to go left or right on Makati Ave. wasn't exactly easy. My first choise was left however  it struck me to be the worst possible disiscion as that was moveing away from the Greenbelt. Okay I turned around and started moveing towards Greenbelt - and there more or less where I started walking 1½ hour before was the Ayala Musseum.

350 Php poorer and not allowed to bring my camera inside I walked through the two exhibitions.

me in front of Mall of Asia.
The first displaying filippino art works and the second a display of 60 montrés with scenes from the Philippines history from B.C. up to the 20th century. Both very interesting and giving a lot of information on local history, so it was worth all the trouble.

Now after first walking Makati thin and then walking up and down musseum ailes, the one thing that had my highest priority at this point was to sit down with a nice cop of coffee. I had noticed a Starbucks besides the ShangRi - La and that became my destination .

But after that coffee my time was up. I had made an apointment with Hernie to pick him up outside his work in the south part of Makati - so now I really needed to find a taxi.

There on the street I was aproached by a man who offered me a Rolex - clearly just as fake as the ones available in Chinatown, but I had been looking for a fake Omega watch so I declined and said that if it had been an Omega then I would be interested. And vuuups did he swoop a nice Omega watch out of his pocket.

Hmmm....I had to give him that the resemblance to the real thing was amazeing. Much better then what I had seen in Chinatownand very detailed. I asked hm for the price and his reply was 8000 Php. I laughed and said that I didn't carry that amount of money on me, which let him to ask me how much I had. Well...300 I replied....he said okay - which let me to examin the watch a bit more. I rejected and started walking towards the other side of the road. Inside I was drooling for the watch but I had no intention to let him know that. Just as expected he followed me and now offered 200 which I accepted. I know that they go for 100 in Chinatown but this one was much better then anything I've seen in Chinatown. So the price would fit me. Again like the tshirts, I dont even get a noname watch at that price in Scandinavia so the fact that it's a copy product didn't really bother me - and it's acctually a beautyfull watch.

Anyway now I was really in a hurry if I should pick up Hernie in time. To the best of my luck I quickly found a taxi.

Now I had the adress on my cellphone so I told him that we were going to the Mall of Asia but had to pick up a friend at this adress and handed him my phone. I really had to controll myself not to laugh when he picked up eyeglasses without ear hangers. It was acctually an amuseing sight but on the other hand also a sad image of how poorly the taxi drivers earn money in this country.

Well....the trip went well, we found Hernie and got ourselfs to Mall of Asia. My God this place is HUGE. We went around looking at the stores and then decided to find a restaurant to get dinner. We selected a nice japaneese restaurant with outdoor service and view over the lightend street baywalk.

BTW two courses of food, berverages and splendid service includeing a waitress who offered to take a picture of us (as our own atempt was less successfull) at less then 1000 Php that's what I call value for money.

cax says:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaah....thanks Taurus! That was a good idea :) - I'll remember that when I return in April :) Thanks a lot and happy new years to you! :)
taurus5_6 says:
GREENBELT MAP

I hope this one works. if not try this http://www.kabeet.com/flash/detail.php?name_id=1108516
taurus5_6 says:
well, what i actually mean is... the next time you come to the philippines and going to a specific destination in metro manila, you can chech the location first with an interactive map from http://www.kabeet.com . I was trying to show you a sample which was Manila Peninsula
Manila