How do theese people eat?

Manila Travel Blog

Entry to Chinatown.

Started the day in the hotel's Sandwich bar Pret รก Porter for a late (10.30) breakfast and coffee. I decided on an egg salad sandwich, which they served without fork and knife.

Now this thing with eating tools has really gone to my head here. The first evening with Hernie I was served with fork and spoon, which I found a little troublesome for Chicken and rice. The at Kenny Rogers woth Joeven it was the same - and I really used the fork most of the way, untill he looked at me like "Why don't you use the spoon?" - I explained that we would allways eat with fork and knife if not served soup - so he just told me to try the spoon anyway, and it acctually worked out with a little training. He then explained that in the Philippines rice is allways served with a spoon, and well it's doable but somehow I think I had prefered Chop sticks :)

So now I was looking at this 3 layer sandwich thinking - "Would a first class hotel really expect me to eat this monster with my fingers?" Well okay.

Chinatown.
..."When in Rome do as the romans do" ! :)

After that breathtakeing experience I was off to Chinatown. Told the taxi driver to drop me off at the Chineese - Filippino friendship arch - and then worked my way down  through Binondo Church down Ongpin Street - and that's when it hit me - try going down one of the alleys and check out the vendours down there.

I would allways recomend to any tourist that they do this. For one the selection of items are much greater, prices more attractive, and just the experience of this huge market is amazeing. One should also try going into some of the "Supermarkets" it's really amazeing what you can find there. Anything goes in Chinatown and if it's not for sale here then it's because it can't be sold.

I ended up buying a couple of gifts.

McDonalds in Chineese :)
Two tshirts - fake Armani and Hilfigger - but since I can't even get a noname tshirt in Scandinavia at the price I paid for both, I really don't mind if they are fake. Acctually I got them down in price as well - and that's to be remembered - do try to get the vendours down in price, it's doable and a must.

I spend 2 1/2 hour in Chinatown and didn't even see a fraction so it's definately worth a visit.

Anyway yesterday Josh recomended that I would pay Intramuros a visit on my way back from Chinatown. However Europeans doesn't respond very well to the asian climate...or well that's a lie because the heat really does me good but because of the heavy humidity dureing this season I swet like a pig over fire.

The Fort Santiago Park.
So my decission was to go back to the hotel for a shower and change of clothes and then go to Intramuros.

I arrived at Fort Santiago aprox. 5.30pm and was imidiately aproached by a young kid who offered to guide me in a horse carriage for 300 Php. I chose to decline the allthough he said that the musseum would be closed at this time if I went on my own. I did get his point but I felt more like I wanted to go around on my own, and afterwards I was really glad that I did. Strolling around in the park at my own pace was really joyable and allowed me to go through the exhibition of World War II warmachines in a quiet and easy way and at the same time get some very nice scenic pictures in and around the park.

After finsihing with Fort Santiago I walked through the streets of Intramuros through it's gates hopeing to catch a taxi at that point.

Me at Fort Santiago.
Sorry to say that didn't happen - I started walking in the direction I ASSUMED was the right one. At first I was a little unsure and started to curse those bloddy taxi's who's allways there in great numbers when you don't need them. But then as an angel of salvation I noticed the sign saying "Rizal Park" and naturally followed it and ended up in the middle of Rizal Park and close enough to the hotel to call it a night.

Manila Sights & Attractions review
The location where Fort Santiago is today, was once the site of the palace and kingdom of Rajah Suliman, chieftain of Manila of pre-Spanish era. Howev… read entire review
Manila