Hamacas, sombreros y liars

Merida Travel Blog

Well San Cristobal was by far my favorite place wwe have been so far. The indians are real part of the community and so beautiful all with one or two children strapped to themselves in pappouses. Amazing. I was disappointed to leave and could have stayed in this town a lot longer.

So when we arrived in Merida i had high standards which were not met. I very quickly and rather rashly decided i din´t really like it very much. Gary told me I was to quick to judge but i stand by my decision.

On the first morning we went to the zocalo to buy agua fresca (delicious fruit juices) and were hustled into going to see hammocks by a guy who prouced pictures of his wife and kids which is below the belt of hustling and should be illegal. So he had this massive speil and then took us to what he called a market for mayans which was just a giant tourist shop LIL BE. He ands us over to his freind whothen trys his hardest to sell us a traditional sisal hammock. He starts at 2885 pesos ( for the 1s time we were in a strong postion as we genuinly didn´t want a hmmock) within the same sentence he had already dropped to 600. We were reduced to fits of laughter and gradually managed to make our escape. only to be harrased more times. Gary likes to think they were nice and friendly but they are liars (maybe nice ones) as sisal hammocks aren´t made by mexican mayans they are imported (probably from asia like a lot of the "mayan" souveniers on the markets.

We didn´t do much in merida in an attempt to save money. We even handwashed which was a total waste of time as everything is still dirty. and smells like 1950´s laundery soap.

The hostel was nice and there was a really good atmosphere.

We took the bus to Cancun today ready for the holiday 2moro....

Merida