swimming with dolphins

Praia da Pipa Travel Blog

phil and me

today aussie phil, richard and i went looking for the baia dos golphinhos (lit. dolphin bay), a beach famous for the dolphins that frequent it. it's only accessible at low tide, and phil was kinda anxious to get there. i was feeling better but still weak and richard was feeling a little sick, so we made for a strange crew.

phil waqs pretty sure he knew how to get there. he led us out of town on foot to a nature trail that jsut gave us some nice views along the cliff overlooking the beach we were trying to get to, with no way down. we turned around and walked back, learning as we asked around that we had to go down to the main beach and walk from there. alot of walking.

when we finally got there it was worth it. the beawch was gorgeous, lined by high cliffs with a view of more cliffs and large dunes towering over beaches in the distance.

me and phil
a pod of dolphins came a little before low tide, and i swam out to them and spent the next hour basically surrounded by dolphins. there wasn't a trememndous number of them and they weren't the most playful dolphins i've ever met, but i haven't been to a beach with dolphins in a about a year so it was still nice.

richard left early, but phil and i kicked it on the beach for a little while after. i had made the mistake of not bringing sunscreen, a habit i'd picked up back in olinda (back when i still had a tan, which i lost avoiding carnaval), so you bet we stayed in the shade. back at the hostel i read some foucault in the shady side of the pool, taught some spaniards to play tranca (a brazilian card game) and listened to music.

phil, dominic and i went out to dinner that night at a nearby kilo place that was expensive but really good. when we got back, i was surprisingly tired and went straight to bed, even though it was only like 10:30.

Praia da Pipa