home, sweet olinda

Olinda Travel Blog

After roughly two days of traveling (minus a pit stop in salvador), i finally made it to olinda. the rodoviaria is incredibly far from recife, so it took me an hour and a half to get there after my bus pulled in, but them's the kicks (warning to travelers: it's really really hard to find buses from the recife metro terminal).

I dropped off my junk at the hostel, had a tasty tapioca bfast, called up the girl from october, and did some much needed errands while i waited for her to show (read as washed clothes). we spent the afternoon together kicking it on the beach as local music paraded on the street above us, then she left to go visit her dad.

the hostel (HI olinda) is in an incredible location; next door to praca do carmo, and across the street from what is apparently the main stage. after checking out some maracatu at the praca, i headed back to the hostel to find samba enredo pumping from the stage. enredo is the music typical of the rio carnaval, and they performed it well, complete with big band, men dressed as women, and two really really sexy scantily clad girls dancing samba in feathery sequined outfits.

after the show, i headed to quatro cantos, a busy area in the middle of olinda, for the post party. there, i ran into Tiago, a local who i saw at every major party i went to the last time i was here. i knew i'd run into him eventually, but i was astounded to find him so fast. moreover, HE recognized ME! so that was pretty cool. on the other hand, i had recognized one of the locals working a caipirinha stand at the samba show, and not only didn't he recognize me, but he gave me a drink with ants in it and refused to exchange it. brazilians have this saying about ants: "hey, come one, they're good for vision!" whatever man, whatver. they're not good for business.

photo by: Paulovic