Failed evacuation

Valenca Travel Blog

I decided to leave morro on the 10th. my trippy friend was leaving, i hadn't planned on staying so long, and i was just partying way too hard: drinking alot, not getting any was all starting to take its toll, and i needed a more relaxing beach.

waking mup late was my first mistake. i had a slow breakfast, hanging out with the other hostelers, and took my time packing afterwards, even taking a break to go online to research pousadas in boipeba, barra grande, and itacare. i didn't end up making it to the docks until around 1:30pm. after getting to valenca, i shopped for a few necessities and groceries, wasted time at banks that didn't take my card (given me enough of a scare that i started to plan a very minimalist fod budget for the next few days), and then finally got to the bus station at 4:30. luckily, the atm machine there accepted my card. unluckily, the last boat from camamu to barra grande leaves at 5. i decided it would take about as long to travel to camamu as to return to morro, so i did the latter, arriving once again as the sun set over the river.

the hostel i had stayed at sucked. no place to lock up my stuff, lots of ants, not many people, and more expensive than the HI, so i moved. i met howard, an english kid from the first hostel, lying in a hammock; he had moved his morning for the same reasons. that night, i met juan, another kid from the hostel, and one of the only other americans i've met who speaks good portuguese. he's going to itacare to chase a girl, and i think i might skip out on barra grande to hit itacare with a travel buddy.

photo by: joesu