Camburi

Camburi Travel Blog

Pablo

So last thursday I called up Pablo (from the caconde trip) to see if he was down to get some beers. He said he was busy, but would hit me back on Friday. Well, on Friday he called me up asking if I wanted to go to the beach with him, his brother, and another friend.

I ended up blowing off the PUC kids again to go to the beach. It’s been at least a month since I’ve hung out with them, so I feel kinda bad about that, but the beach was sick and pablo’s little group was nothing but good people.

Saturday and Sunday we went surfing. The water was great, but the weather was so-so. Still, great time.

Coming back from Camburi, My friends surprised me when we stopped to eat at a foreign pizzeria franchise (one of only two or so in the city) where we had to wait 20 minutes for a table. They were all over the place, talking up its great food at a low price. What was the restaurant you ask? Pizza hut. Fucking pizza. Same greasy, gross pizza as the states, but the restaurant was made up to look respectable.

Really, they weren’t selling pizza, they were selling an image. They were selling a “first world” experience. It hadn’t really occurred to me how impressive that image is to people down here until driving back from Camburi, we saw a billboard for a whorehouse (really. No shit. Billboard for a whorehouse) that advertised itself as “your night in the first-world!” I laughed, no one else did.

Camburi