Caracas

Caracas Travel Blog

First day in Caracas
     On the run-up to the day I left for Caracas, I had heard so many stories ranging from the hatred of Americans through chavez to the horrible crime that occured. Everything was so sensationalized that you almost naturally felt paranoid. The 5th member of our group of 5 was buddy passing down to Atlanta to meet with me (since 3 others were already in Caracas). When his flight was delayed long enough to miss the connections, he bailed and as such I was left alone to fend for myself for the first few hours in CCS. Everyone said to find the proper taxi or else you would be scammed going across the bridge from the airport to downtown caracas. If you have not been to CCS before, it's about a 45 minute drive into the city. Apparently until the new bridge was built, it was 90min to 2 hour drive up and down the winding roads of the hills.
Aserca airlines at Caracas domestic terminal
Needless to say, I picked a taxi driver and went (there were about 20 of them outside the security lines).
     I felt pretty comfortable with the guy I had chosen (mind you there was no logical reason for picking him other then he flashed me a so called yellow taxi badge). However I was pretty on-guard, especially when he pulled over to a gas station and needed to get gas. However that became uneventful and I ended up at the hotel safe and sound. He actually wanted to exchange my greenbacks for Bolivares and I ended up getting almost double over the official exchange rate.
     Regardless, Caracas at night was a very visually stimulating place to see. With mountains on all sides, it was geographically one of the most interesting facades since the entire city was two to three mountains and a valley. The lights of all the shanty towns populated the hill-sides while the city gave off the impression of a hustling metropolis (little did I know that it hid the shanty-town covered reckless-ness the likes of which I had never seen with my own eyes).
First day in Caracas
Aserca airlines at Caracas domesti…
Aserca airlines at Caracas domest…
Caracas